UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2019, 6:59 pm   #1
dannyruss1

Default Roberts R606MB

Hi guys
I’ve been reading all of the useful information on here ref the vintage Roberts radios
I am pleased to have a Roberts R606MB in tan which I’ve just picked up the first owners had it from new in mid 70s and it’s in very good condition with all brights and rexine and wood in not bad condition
It works pretty well but a slight buzz when on the station but sounds great
I was planning on following the advice on here to give it a full service and danish oil the end cheeks and rexine
What do people recommend to clean rexine
Is it normal for the tuning knob to press down whilst the volume is flush?
Can the handle be tightened or is it loose in normal use

Looking forward to being a member of this forum and restoring this Roberts to enjoy it

Daniel

Old 7th Oct 2019, 7:26 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R606MB

I've got a R606 (not the MB version) here; I've also got a R24 (mains/battery) - the 606 I run off a homebrew mains supply [LM317 regulator) and it's hum-free.

The R24 was hummy on mains when I got it - problem turned out to be that the big smoothing electrolytic in the mains-supply had lost capacitance. A nice new 2200uF 25V electrolytic removed the hum - could be worth checking the smoother in yours?

[remember that the main smoother is _always_ subjected to voltage as long as the radio's plugged into the mains - and when the radio's turned-off at the on-off-volume control the smoother will be unloaded and so charged to the peak-voltage of the AC waveform. Your smoother may have seen 100,000 hours of full voltage over a decade or so...!]
Old 7th Oct 2019, 8:18 pm   #3
paulsherwin

If it hums on mains and not on batteries then #2 is almost certainly the explanation.

These radios contain lots of lovely Lockfit transistors which can be responsible for all sorts of strange symptoms. Search the forum for more stuff about Lockfits.
Old 8th Oct 2019, 2:02 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Regarding the "Rexine" covering, it all depends on just how dirty it is. Use a medium toothbrush and detergent if just moderately marked. Or use "Cif" household cleaner (formerly "Jif") and a toothbrush if deeply stained/discolored. Be sure to rinse the white residue off.
Old 8th Oct 2019, 8:11 pm   #5
dannyruss1

Default Roberts R606MB stuck tuning scale pointer

Hi guys
I was attempting to remove the tuning knob as it appeared not to sit flush like the volume button, and the tuning scale pointer which was moving is now stuck off the left side of the display and will not move.
It was working before, hope it’s not too hard to repair.

Grateful for your advice

Daniel

Old 9th Oct 2019, 9:40 pm   #6
davidgem1406
Heptode

Hi Daniel,

To remove the tuning knob, take a length of strong thin cord and wrap 2 turns onto the tuning shaft underneath the knob.
If the chassis is still in the cabinet place your hand across the top to hold the radio down.
Take 1 end of the cord to the left of the knob and the other to the right, grip them firmly and pull upwards. It could take a good pull to move the knob. Pull it slightly to the left and then to the right. It should come off.

Dave.
Closed Thread