UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2010, 12:10 pm   #21
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PAL (4.43) to PAL N

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrykc View Post
.....Well ... almost. Because it isn't "Pal 4.433", it is just PAL, nothing more......
PAL isn't just PAL. PAL-M is totally different. I don't know what they do about VHS recording in PAL-M countries but it wouldn't surprise me if the format on tape is identical to 525 NTSC with transcoding to PAL-M done in the recorder.

Yes, we know that all 625 line PAL VHS recorders record the same signal, regardless of how it's transcoded at the output. Also I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting that the conenction from VHS to TV should be made at RF.

The real problem that the OP has is finding a VHS player in the US that will do anything sensible with a PAL signal on the tape. You are correct in saying that finding a south American PAL-N player would solve the problem.
Old 26th Nov 2010, 12:55 pm   #22
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: PAL (4.43) to PAL N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
... PAL isn't just PAL. PAL-M is totally different ...
Agreed - but I was specifically referring to PAL/625, hence no 'M' in the list of standards a little further back in the post.

The point I was making was that the reference to 4.433 was irrelevant but, yes, I should have said PAL/625 to ensure that there was no possible source of confusion.
Closed Thread