UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2007, 10:21 pm   #21
Chris-G8ETC
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Maplin UHF Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1966 View Post
I get much better results from old VCR modulators.
From the point of view of electrical performance, I cannot and will not dispute your suggestion. But by going down that route, you are still left with the problem of having to power the modulator, provide the external interfacing sockets, and building everything neatly into a plastic box to make it comparable with a ready built self-contained product.

When you retire, most pensioners quickly learn that there is not enough time in the day to do everything you want or would like to do. Consequently, I would defend anyone's decision to purchase a ready built and ready to use product. The Maplin Universal Modulator (VH89W) is pricey, but does have a good specification, and clearly if the one and only minor defect can be resolved within minutes by adding just one, two or even three decoupling capacitors which cost only a few pence each, that's all the better.
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 11:30 pm   #22
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

A similar modulator can be obtained from Grandata www.grandata.co.uk for £23.68 including postage and VAT. If you can collect from their shop in Wembley, North London, the price will be only £17.63

ALAN
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 11:35 pm   #23
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-G8ETC View Post
From the point of view of electrical performance, I cannot and will not dispute your suggestion.
Sorry Chris, it wasn't the Maplin one that I was berating, I haven't tried that one. It was the CPC one that I didn't rate.
Closed Thread