UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2021, 8:30 pm   #61
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: 1MHz output impedance query?

That looks promising now. It's good to see you have a 'parasitic stopper' resistor in series with the base of the 2N3904.

The 2N3904 is a bit more lively than a regular jellybean BJT and if used in an emitter follower it can go unstable up at 250-450MHz or so if there is any significant stray inductance in the connections to the pi filter. R6 should provide good protection against instability here.

I'd expect to see the base biased up at 5-6V DC so maybe you could play with the value of R5 when you build it. I'm not sure what current gain your 2N3904 will have so R5 may have to be a select on test component because your base bias resistor values are quite large.
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 7:21 pm   #62
mole42uk
Nonode

A quick update, I’ve had a month off due to medical intervention at the hospital, but I did move the project forward today by testing the “completed” hardware. The 1MHz and 10MHz square waves are good but I was disappointed to find that the 1MHz sine wave output was rather low level, until I remembered that the output emitter follower needs a 12v supply. So then I tested the power supply, nice steady 5v for the logic and GPS receiver but the 12v has a nasty 50Hz ripple of about 500mV, degrading the 1MHz sine performance somewhat. That’s the next job…..

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 8:49 pm   #63
mole42uk
Nonode

Aha! I'd installed a 270R resistor in the place where an 8k2 should be fitted, that'll degrade the 12v by drawing way too much current. More tests tomorrow!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Closed Thread