UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2021, 10:29 am   #1
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Garrard RC120 spindle problem

Hello everyone

I'm currently working on a dusty old Garrard RC120H record changer I got for $0. I seem to have got everything going OK except the record drop spindle. See photo, I can just about balance a record on it, and then the whole cycle works well, but balancing the record doesn't seem right, I'm used to fairly roughly plonking them on the spindle and that's because the spindle has it's moving part sticking out to the left of the spindle, but on mine it sits within the body of the spindle and then when activated under the deck as part of the start cycle it moves to the right and disturbs the record which the drops, I'm sure it's not right.

So my questions are:
1) can someone with a 120H please post a picture of the spindle
2) if it looks different how did mine get that way? in backwards?
3) is the spindle on a Garrard removable? if so how? ive tried pulling, I've remove the under mech and what looked like a locking screw, but no movement

Look forward to your help

thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3265.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	235860  
Old 14th Jun 2021, 11:07 am   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard RC120 spindle problem

No, that's not right. The part that pushes the record off the spindle should be sticking out to the left in your picture, instead it is stuck. There should be a locking screw in the side the socket that holds the spindle. Only seen once the turntable is removed. Once the screw is removed, the spindle should slide out, but may need a bit of presuasion, or heat from a soldering iron, as it may be held tight with old grease.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 11:57 am   #3
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
No, that's not right. The part that pushes the record off the spindle should be sticking out to the left in your picture, instead it is stuck. There should be a locking screw in the side the socket that holds the spindle. Only seen once the turntable is removed. Once the screw is removed, the spindle should slide out, but may need a bit of presuasion, or heat from a soldering iron, as it may be held tight with old grease.
Thanks. Strangely it's not stuck, it's movement may be restricted but it moves quite easily just not far enough in the right direction!

I've attached a photo of the under deck. in the centre is a largish cylinder, that's the housing for the platter bearing and inside that is the spindle (you can see the bottom of it sticking out) . there are 2 set screws, I undid but did not remove the higher one, it didn't loosen the spindle at all, the lower one seems to just be locking the platter bush in place. should I undo and totally remove the top screw?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3266.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	235877  
Old 14th Jun 2021, 1:22 pm   #4
electrogram
Heptode

I think that spindle is normal for an rc120, the rc110/111 are the same. They improved to a more conventional type on the rc120 mkii
Old 14th Jun 2021, 5:51 pm   #5
Mister T.
Triode

The centre spindle in your picture is correct. The top part of the spindle guides you to let the record/records rest onto the step. You then support the one/stack of records with one hand whilst you bring the overarm (stacking arm) across and down on to the records.
I understand what you mean about having to be careful with loading the record/s but the advantage would be that when using the player manually it's far easier to negotiate this spindle than the more standard type where you have to push the record against the moving part of the spindle to get it onto the turntable. Hope this makes some form of sense.
Tony/
Old 15th Jun 2021, 9:58 am   #6
hayerjoe
Hexode

Anyone any ideas how to remove that spindle? I'm sure Tony and electrogram are right, this is how it should be, but perhaps age and use has also worn the moving edge of the spindle, which if I could get out I may be able to modify or square it up

just need to get it out for a look

thanks
Joe
Old 15th Jun 2021, 5:59 pm   #7
Mister T.
Triode

Hello again.
I've just taken some pictures of my Garrard RC120 deck.
Picture 1 shows an overview so (hopefully) you can see how the centre spindle is located. The moving part of the spindle would be pushing the record directly to the right.
Picture 2 shows the top part of the spindle in its normal position.
Picture 3 shows the top part of the spindle in the position it would be having just pushed a record onto the turntable. (i.e. Its most outward positon).
Hope these may be of help to you.
Kind regards.
Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	235952   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	235953   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	235954  
Old 16th Jun 2021, 7:53 am   #8
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister T. View Post
Hello again.
I've just taken some pictures of my Garrard RC120 deck.
Picture 1 shows an overview so (hopefully) you can see how the centre spindle is located. The moving part of the spindle would be pushing the record directly to the right.
Picture 2 shows the top part of the spindle in its normal position.
Picture 3 shows the top part of the spindle in the position it would be having just pushed a record onto the turntable. (i.e. Its most outward positon).
Hope these may be of help to you.
Kind regards.
Tony

Thanks for that Tony, looks like mine is the way it should be then. I'm actually getting used to it, stacked 5 LPs as a test today and thought they'd all drop randomly during play, but all were fine... so it looks precarious compared to later changers but seems to work

thanks again
Joe
Closed Thread