UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2013, 8:25 pm   #1
Stockden
Heptode

Default Making cloth covered cables

My apologies if this has been posted before but the recent thread on cloth covered mains cable (here) reminded me that I'd seen something recently about making your own. Inevitably I couldn't remember where it was but eventually the penny dropped.

There's actually quite a bit on the 'Net about using bootlaces for the outer covering but the one I was thinking of was on Henk's site here. You need to choose "WS 18 Set" from the menu on the LHS and then click on "Textile covered cables - how to make them".
Old 6th Feb 2013, 11:02 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Making cloth covered cables

I had wondered whether it was possible to make your own length of 'bootlace' using French Knitting (cotton reel and 4 nails) but I now see there is a little machine that does French Knitting, or something similar.

http://www.haguedirect.co.uk/acatalo...h_knitter.html

If one could sort out the rotation aspect it might be possible to feed the wires down the middle of the knitting whilst doing the knitting? It would give a more plaited cord appearance than a bootlace.
Old 7th Feb 2013, 7:16 pm   #3
PWH
Heptode

Default Re: Making cloth covered cables

The cloth covered cable I had made up was done by a shoelace company.
I still have some. The good thing about them was they had an industrial machine which could do any pattern. The only thing was a fairly large minimum quantity order.
Old 18th Feb 2013, 10:47 pm   #4
Ben_Dijkman
Pentode

Thumbs up Re: Making cloth covered cables

This is a 4 core/nails handmachine.
That is not enough to create a good looking cable.
Then you need the right wire for the covering to create an original look.
Then you need mains cable and fades to fill up the space between the mainscables to get a nice round shaped cable.See attachm.

As long if there is original rubber-isolated
cloth covered mainscable for 3.50 euro per meter including shippin costs to the U.K
I think you may ask yourselves if it is worth the work and time to make cloth coverd mains-cord yourselves.

However I must say that your idea and creativity is fantastic !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7_img.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	76390   Click image for larger version

Name:	94_img.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	76391  
Closed Thread