UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2018, 9:16 pm   #1
qualityten
Octode

Default Broken AVO Model 7 for £170?

Old AVO multimeters are now apparently 'bang on trend' for retro decorators. I saw an older model today on a TV upcycling show being 'repurposed' to house a Bluetooth speaker and then being valued for 'an easy sale' at about £170. The electrician charged with the installation was shown gutting the 'voltmeter' as if he was gutting a fish. No parts salvaged there. The programme did not say if the meter had been in working order. It was just assumed to be old junk.

It's an interesting trend in which people are fascinated by the appearance of an item of vintage technology, without having the slightest interest in its original purpose.
Old 6th Jun 2018, 9:27 pm   #2
linescan87
Heptode

Default Re: Broken AVO Model 7 for £170?

I wouldn't call it interesting, more hideous. I've seen AVO's turned into lamps, but now speakers?!

This sort of thing is a big threat to our hobby, these hipster types drive up the price old equipment, gut it and then when it's off trend in six months dump it!

John Joe.
Old 6th Jun 2018, 10:09 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I can’t see it as a threat, it would have been in the skip anyway, my problem after watching a couple of the shows is that the articles they produce would not find space in my house.
Old 6th Jun 2018, 10:33 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by linescan87 View Post
then when it's off trend in six months dump it!
There are many aspects of this shallow, attention-deficit, money-to-burn trend that I heartily despise- but this has to be up top, the fact that a worthy, still eminently useful and rapidly diminishing aspect of our industrial culture ends up cast off by someone with the mindset of a bored toddler. I don't hold that something like an AVO would inevitably end up in a skip, either- some may, that's the way of things, but many still attract keen bidding when put up for sale and surely some are appreciated as opposed to vandalised.

Let the hand that committeth the sin....
Old 6th Jun 2018, 10:37 pm   #5
Nanozeugma
Heptode

In truth, I guess if you own it, you can do what you like with it. Personally, I think this is vandalism and anathema to me - just me, mind.
What pisses me off is people who obtain stuff from house clearances, grannies et al for a song and then auction them at vastly inflated prices. Perfectly legal, I know - but to my mind morally repugnant. Those who have no interest in vintage electronics, but merely view such artefacts as cash cows (because they have learned that "valve" means £££) push up prices beyond the reach of many a genuine enthusiast.

In a moment of confession, I coveted an AVO after many years and was able to obtain a virtually mint AVO 8 MK 5 complete with case and all leads and probes for £70 from a hospice charity - but in my defence, it will be used as an AVO.
My particular bête noire is that awful neologism, upcycling.

Last edited by Nanozeugma; 6th Jun 2018 at 10:43 pm. Reason: Addition.
Old 6th Jun 2018, 10:37 pm   #6
qualityten
Octode

I agree, John and Frank. The main puzzle to me is who is willing to spend considerable sums on such 'recycling'? There must be some fairly deep longing for an industrial and and analogue past, which they are hoping to connect with, if only in aesthetic.

I think it is part of the mission of forums like this to provide those who want more a way to learn. Perhaps looking at an inert AVO meter dial night after night might lead some to wonder what V and A stand for?
Old 7th Jun 2018, 1:07 am   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

As you said, originally, Quality, it's about image That said, I'm an arts person myself as well as technical but this re-purposing is somewhat let down by general ignorance and opportunism

Dave
Old 7th Jun 2018, 5:08 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

I suspect it's not really a threat to our hobby. The people doing this 'upcycling' are primarily interested in upcycling the price. They may want someone to pay £170 for their ruined AVO, but they certainly don't want to pay anything much for their input material. If they saw something at our idea of a fair price, they'd just move on looking for something almost free. Their business model is based on 40000% mark-up. After all, they deserve fair payment for their art

Also, this has been going on since the fifties/sixties. "Why not pick up an ordinary Northumbrain spokeshaver's coracle, paint it in contrasting colours of telephone black and white white, and hang it on the wall as a guitar-tidy for parties?" If that isn't an incitement to upcycling, what is? Those who know where that quote came from now have an image of a bearded man in a wheelchair being pursued by a horde of irate Northumbrian spokeshavers.

David
Old 7th Jun 2018, 9:10 am   #9
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Much of this electrical "upcycling" may well be technically illegal, a lamp made from a camera, or an AVO turned into a bluetooth speaker would be new or modified electrical equipment under the Electrical Equipment Safety Regulations, as recently discussed in other threads, and therefore should be CE marked with the appropriate documentation prepared - I've never seen mention of this on any of these programmes, only the occasional mention of a "qualified electrician" doing the wiring, and the provision of a PAT test sticker
Old 7th Jun 2018, 9:17 am   #10
Station X

Something very similar has been discussed in this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=146852

Let's keep this thread on topic please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 9:21 am   #11
davidw
Heptode

Like others, I hate to see this type of vandalism, however, its a fact of modern life, but are we missing a chance here?
I'm thinking that if I knew someone local to me was doing these "upcycles" then I would be at his door asking for the bits he throws away. In this case the guts of an AVO7 must yield some bits useful to someone here.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 5:26 pm   #12
The Philpott
Dekatron

Table lamps, robot heads, pointless and inane. The difference between a collector and a fashionista- the collector can answer questions about the things you see in his house, the fashionista won't have a clue. 'Er, i dunno, the man who does my decor bought it in covent garden, retro chic, like it?'

It can't go on forever, by the nature of 'trend' it must fade. Just as well they're not in short supply..yet.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 5:51 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Before long, maybe we will see a round Ekco or an HMV 904 upcycled. John.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 11:05 pm   #14
qualityten
Octode

I admit that I enjoy some of the upcycling programmes, especially when skip-bound items are saved and creatively restored or made into something new that respects the materials. And this trend may be slowing down the mindless disposal of useful stuff. But the bloke who made a smiley head for a so-called robot from an upturned AVO meter should find another hobby.
Old 8th Jun 2018, 5:50 am   #15
slidertogrid
Octode

I was given an Avo At the end of the NVCF by a mate who had a stall there it had been offered for sale all day for £5 and had not sold.
There was a similar model in a local house clearance type auction recently it sold for £6. This is the problem if they are seen as worthless and enthusiasts are not buying them the risk is that they end up skipped or in the hands of the retro-funky-paint it blue brigade..
There was a lady on antiques roadshow recently who "nearly rubbed down" an antique Georgian table "because it would look good painted white in her kitchen" only persuasion by the delivery driver saved it. Oh it was such a laugh...

Wanton destruction of collectable and sometime historically important items has been going on for decades, One of Winston Churchill's cars was reported as being wrecked by banger racers sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's ISTR.

The only way I can see to try and stop this type of destruction is to try to get in first buy it and save it before the vandals (or vanguardals ) get their hands on it.

I have bought a few radiograms over the years that would have otherwise been in peril , one was in a queue of stuff waiting to go on a bonfire. I was too late to save the 1950's Ekco TV. I still had to give a tenner for it though as "it was worth that for the valves" apparently.

On a couple of occasions I have given these away after restoring them. but I always ask that in the event that it is no longer wanted I am offered it back. Out of three that I gave away one came back a year later as no longer wanted scratched with a broken stylus and spoilt speaker cloth, one ended up being left behind in a London flat when the owner emigrated and the third is still in situ playing away. You can't save them all it seems?

Anyone want an AVO? Free? plus postage?

Rich.
Old 8th Jun 2018, 7:21 am   #16
FIXITNOW
Octode

It's a fair comment slidertogrid I have obtained locally at least 8 Avos of different types (Model D Via Model 7 to Avo12) that have cost between £2 and £5. I save them while I can
Old 8th Jun 2018, 9:09 am   #17
The Philpott
Dekatron

Rich, if you are genuinely looking to rehome that avo 'Sinewave' may well be interested. My girlfriend says I have enough now (and she's correct) but I would be able to get one more past the threshold if inexpensive.

(If your closing comment was tongue in cheek feel free to ignore..!)

Dave
Old 8th Jun 2018, 10:03 am   #18
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Rich, if you are genuinely looking to rehome that avo 'Sinewave' may well be interested.....
Indeed, thank you.

Always happy to rehome an Avo
Old 8th Jun 2018, 6:10 pm   #19
slidertogrid
Octode

The Avo I was given is a model 7. I better not take this thread off topic but yes if you want it it's yours for cost of postage. Pm me and I will get a price from myhermes.
Old 8th Jun 2018, 6:45 pm   #20
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I suspect it's not really a threat to our hobby. The people doing this 'upcycling' are primarily interested in upcycling the price.........

Also, this has been going on since the fifties/sixties. "Why not pick up an ordinary Northumbrain spokeshaver's coracle, paint it in contrasting colours of telephone black and white white, and hang it on the wall as a guitar-tidy for parties?" If that isn't an incitement to upcycling, what is? Those who know where that quote came from now have an image of a bearded man in a wheelchair being pursued by a horde of irate Northumbrian spokeshavers.

David
I like to do this sort of stuff ' At the Drop of a Hat'.

Martin