UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2018, 10:37 pm   #1
apersonthingy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Coronet A7 record player with BSR. Need advice for restoration

I recently came across an old Cornet suitcase style record player, which I believe is from the mid to late 60s. It has a number of problems that I need to get sorted.

First up, the idler wheel. I believe it has worn down over time, as it doesn't reach the motor spindle anymore. When I picked it up, it barely worked on 78 RPM, but didn't actually reach 78. As soon as I triggered the changer mechanism, it didn't have the power to run it. I'm a little familiar with BSR changers, as I restored one my grandmother has, however I'm no expert. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only explanation I can find for the lack of power is that the rubber idler wheel has worn down SIGNIFICANTLY over time. I can't even get it to play at 78 anymore, let's not even mention it getting anywhere near the other speeds. (45, 33, 16) It's so far off that I'm doubting my theory, but it's my only theory. If I do need a new idler wheel, would this be an acceptable offer? It's the best I can seem to find.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/122886165944

Secondly, I need to find a new cartridge for it. The old one appears to be rusted, not to mention the plastic cantilever which, in typical BSR style, holds 2 styli on it for 78s and LPs is missing both of it's styli. I removed the cartridge from the tonearm, and found the model number (SXIH, although all I can find online is an SX1H), but I can't actually find the exact cartridge, only the styli for it.

I can't seem to find it's specs online, which I need, of course, to find a good fit for the player. It would be beautiful to find the exact one, which I can't seem to do, but the closest possible cartridge would be completely acceptable.

That is just about all for now. Thanks!

-William
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180328_174933_874.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	160154   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180328_183718.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	160155  

Last edited by apersonthingy; 28th Mar 2018 at 11:06 pm. Reason: Adding photos
Old 28th Mar 2018, 11:12 pm   #2
apersonthingy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Coronet A7 record player with BSR. Need advice for restoration

New update: Turns out I wasn't thorough enough. There isn't rust on the cartridge, it looks to be some sort of sponge suspension for the cantilever. I'm going to hold off on buying a new cartridge for now, and instead opt for a stylus. I would have edited the original message, but I'm on a 30 minute cooldown for edits. Oops.
Old 28th Mar 2018, 11:45 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

A bit of advice - don't waste money on a stylus unless you're sure that the cartridge still has output. Hopefully you'll be lucky, as there is NO replacement for these old high output crystal cartridges made anywhere in the world. You'd have to fit a medium output ceramic type and build yourself a pre-amp. There have been re-furbished ones available, but I suspect that these won't have the high output that the originals had and also may not be stereo compatible as yours is. One way out if yours is duff and you don't need it to have a stereo output, is to fit a BSRX5M which is a medium output stereo compatible mono crystal cartridge. These don't have quite the output as the original has, but I've found them to work adequately, and there's still some old stock of working examples out there for sale - at a price!

The idler wheel won't have worn down, it'll be due to the fact that the pivot for it is gummed up. Read the appropriate 'sticky' thread at the top of this page on servicing - which it sounds like your deck needs.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 12:02 am   #4
apersonthingy
Retired Dormant Member

I'll be honest with you - I can't find what you directed me to. After messing with the TT, I found the ACTUAL cause of the issue I'm having. I don't know if I'm missing a spring, or as you suggested, the pivot is gummed up. If that's your opinion, could you give me a direct link? As I mentioned, for some reason I can't locate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp0lPjCoVNY
Old 29th Mar 2018, 12:11 am   #5
Techman
Dekatron

Hi, yes, it looks like the spring has come off. The deck will need a service and the pivot for that idler at least, will need lubricating. It's been a while since I've looked at those stickies up top, but the info is definitely there, you've just got to look for it, probably in the 'reviving your old record player' or something like that - there's a LOT of reading, but I would advise that it's worth the time if you want to do the job properly.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 12:25 am   #6
apersonthingy
Retired Dormant Member

It looks like it will be quite do-able for me. I plugged the cartridge back in, turned it on, volume up, and messed with the cartridge. There is noise coming from it, I would expect about as clearly as I could ever hope for. It's kind of hard to tell when your only source of noise is your fingernail rubbing on the cantilever. I'll definitely look into what you suggested, as I confirmed that what seems to be, according to you, the most expensive/irreplaceable part.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 2:17 am   #7
apersonthingy
Retired Dormant Member

Things seem to be looking up for this project. I've gone from the recycling depot, where the player could only work at all on 78 rpm, and even then at a much slower speed, to working on all speeds somewhat close to the selected RPM (with tons of flutter)

Tomorrow I'm going to tear the whole thing apart, clean, and lubricate it with some light oil. After that, I'll move on to the electronics.

All I need to order atm is a stylus. I've found one that I think will be good, but I figured I'd ask you first.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/5221-Diamant...YAAOSwA29Y3wbV
Closed Thread