UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2018, 8:02 pm   #1
Vintage_Man2012
Triode

Default WANTED: AVO Douglas Wave Winder or Avo Douglas Progressive Wave Winder

Hi all,

I am looking for either an AVO Douglas wave winder or progressive wave winder to re-wind some old coils in some old radios I've had knocking around the workshop for a couple of years.

If anyone has a decent (i.e. useable) AVO wave winder or the "Progressive" wave winder variant that they no longer use, I would be prepared to make a generous cash offer for it subject to viewing some photos to verify its condition.

I am happy to get a machine requiring a bit of servicing/cleaning as I have a Douglas No. 1 and No. 6 machine that I have overhauled previously.

If anyone can help, please let me know

Many thanks
Paul
Old 14th Mar 2018, 12:15 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Octode

Default Re: WANTED: AVO Douglas Wave Winder or Avo Douglas Progressive Wave Winder

There is a roll-your-own wave winder (or so called Universal Coil) winder, "Build a Universal Coil Winding Machine" by David J Gingery

There are also several you tube videos of varying degrees of sophistication, but this one shows the Gingery version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIOocMoRsYQ

While I was looking for that I found http://www.vintagewindings.com/gen%2...%20Winding.pdf which is a book all about different methods of coil winding and machines for doing it.

Craig
Old 14th Mar 2018, 12:58 pm   #3
Vintage_Man2012
Triode

Default Re: WANTED: AVO Douglas Wave Winder or Avo Douglas Progressive Wave Winder

Hi Craig,

Thanks for replying!

I actually have the Universal Coil Winder book by Dave Gingery - I am in the process of gathering the parts to build one to do a couple of small rewind jobs.

I would like to obtain the AVO Wave Winder in particular as I already have a couple of their other machines and it would complement them nicely in the workshop!

Paul
Old 14th Mar 2018, 6:59 pm   #4
Vintage_Man2012
Triode

Also thanks very much for the link to the coil winding book from GEO Stevens.

That is definitely of interest as it covers a whole host of things including the geometry of the type of windings I need to replicate.
Much more data that the manual I have for the Avo machine!

Cheers!
Paul
Closed Thread