UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2018, 10:15 pm   #1
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Rogers Vitalator

A popular fun item for us vintage tech fans.
This one is in very good condition and has 4 heads.
The badge says universal voltage so it would run from a home made inverter from almost any SMPSU with not much effort and not the light fitting adapter that was fitted as found.
An SLA battery sure would be a lot safer than 240V without isolation. Time to drag out an old VGA screen board for the coil and FET.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5066.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	161032   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5068.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	161033   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5075.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	161034   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5078.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	161035  
Old 13th Apr 2018, 7:52 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Rogers Vitalator

I won one of those at the RWB auction last December - which I'm hoping to collect at the NVCF next month, having a bit of a soft spot for these vintage "alternative medical" items. As I haven't yet had a chance to look at the innards of mine, I can't comment on its electrical safety or otherwise, but my experience is that this does tend to vary - in fact I have a French unit that I wouldn't let anywhere near mains voltages as its design is positively lethal.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 12:04 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Rogers Vitalator

That is exactly why I will be making a battery powered inverter to power in without a mains connection. I have all the parts to make one and a large enough SLA battery to provide the power.
It is marked universal voltage. DC is much easier to create from an inverter and will be kinder on the battery.
Closed Thread