UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2018, 8:05 pm   #1
Steve3395
Diode

Default Sony CDP-101 control problems

I just bought a non working CDP-101 which I fixed the drawer not opening issue and then a disc ejecting issue. The unit now automatically plays a cd when a disc is inserted. Now when I try to pause fast forward rewind or skip tracks the switches don’t move even fractionally. Nothing works though the disc continues to play. I’m sure before I took apart when I got it despite the drawer not opening I was able to move the buttons. I guess I have screwed something up but when I take apart the switch mechanism it appears to be very strange. A plastic bar hits what looks like a carbon coated metal plate. No moving parts at all. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve
Old 26th Mar 2018, 10:55 am   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Sony CDP-101 control problems

The buttons aren't supposed to move, they are "touch sensitive2, or at least they would be if you didn't have to press them so hard to get anything to happen.

There is a relay inside which only has its coil connected, its purpose is to provide an audible "click" when a key is pressed. If you hear the click then the chances are that the switches are OK. If not then there is a problem in this area.

Try setting the timer start switch to on so that the player starts as soon as the power is applied (assuming that there is a disc in there of course). Then try the lesser used keys (A-B repeat, clear, reset (= stop) etc. If these work then the bigger ones are worn / dirty, if not you will need to start making measurements around the SYSCON IC. The manuals for this machine are really good as they were teaching what was essentially a new subject, there are flow charts for common faults too.
Closed Thread