UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2008, 3:23 pm   #21
Keith
Heptode

Default Re: FRDX400 S Meter

Just to put it another way. When the set is first switched on the anode of V105 (one side of the meter) is at full HT voltage. The slider of the pot is at a lower voltage (other side of the meter). Current flows from the higher voltage to the lower voltage (and thence to ground through R130).
Old 31st Jan 2008, 10:32 pm   #22
milairuk
Pentode

Got you Keith - I first disconnected the feed to L115 / V105 anode. The measured voltage at the slider of VR103 is 221v (S Meter -ve). The voltage at the junction of VR102 (preset) and R129 is 233v . Hence a 12volt potential exists allowing current to flow thru VR102/D113 and the S meter.(approx 2.4mA with VR102=5k)
I presume the FSD of the S meter is 1mA, hence the full deflection - ouch !!
Reconnect L115, allow V105 to stabilise and you get 223v at VR103 slider and 215v at VR102/R129. So the voltage difference has "reversed" so to speak and the S meter is at zero. My key error in all this was assuming the S meter +ve went to the slider of VR103, but in fact it is the -ve connection that does.
I cannot see any way round this now except for cutting the HT supply until the valves have warmed up - anyone got any other ideas ?
John
Old 31st Jan 2008, 11:54 pm   #23
Keith
Heptode

I suppose you could put a 5.6V zener diode between VR102/R129 and VR103 slider. That should limit the current though the meter to just over 1mA. Might upset the linearity at the top end though as you approach the knee of the zener.
Old 1st Feb 2008, 12:57 am   #24
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Cutting off the HT supply used to be done to facilitate a stand by function
John [eg the 358x] just leaving the heaters on. Was it really to protect the S Meter after all? All this extra info is extending the 400 Handbook very usefully. Dave
Old 1st Feb 2008, 1:42 am   #25
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Have you tried powering up with the function switch in the mute postition or stand by

Mike
Old 1st Feb 2008, 1:52 pm   #26
milairuk
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
Have you tried powering up with the function switch in the mute postition or stand by

Mike
Mike,
Problem is that the standby position does not cut off HT. It adds a 100k variable pot in series with the RF gain pot, This pot is actually marked "monitor". By heavily biassing back the RF and 1st IF sections you can monitor your transmitted signal without overloading the receiver. In my ham days (>30 years ago) it was quite common, not sure about now though. Only way will be to cut HT to V105 until it warms up I guess.
John
Old 1st Feb 2008, 2:09 pm   #27
Station X

So long as the meter needle shows no sign of bending why worry about it? If the designers thought there was a chance the meter was likely to get damaged they'd have redesigned the circuit rather than risk claims under warranty.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread