UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2018, 3:40 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Garrard Model 1000 turntable will not work automatically

Hi folks

This Garrard Model 1000 turntable will not work on auto, with the turntable running and a record sitting on the spindle, by moving the lever to auto and releasing it, there is no action mechanically and record will stay where it is. The spindle pushes home OK and the only clip I can see is the one that holds the platter down, I don't really know where a clip is supposed to be fitted underneath for the spindle. I have had the platter off and the large gear seems to stay where it is, that is with the flat adjacent to the small gear on the platter shaft, for some reason the large gear does not appear to get activated by what ever activates it from underneath.

The exploded view of the turntable from its underneath view is a little complex and can not work out what is supposed to do what at the moment.

Ken
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 3:42 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Turntable will not work automatically

Your problem is hard grease in the linkages on the deck underside.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 3:52 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

When you push the stacking spindle fully home, you will hear/feel the spindle locate itself. It does not fit into a "clip" as such.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 4:43 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

The clip that holds the turntable on also secures the spindle, so that's all correct. The fault you describe is due to the trip mechanism, which is seized with old grease. Basically, you need to take the large cog off, and remove the small swivelling mechanism attached to it's edge. Thoroughly clean all the parts, reassemble, but do NOT oil any part of the trip mechanism, it relies on friction alone. For fuller instructions, see the "stickie" at the start of this section entitled "Automatic trip repair on Garrard Autoslim - chassis units"

Barry

Last edited by Audio1950; 23rd Mar 2018 at 4:48 pm.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 7:12 pm   #5
Radio Tech
Nonode

Thank you Edward and Barry,

I may have to seek another clip, and it wasn't until I looked carefully at the spindle I realised the groove in it associated with the platter. As for the auto part of it I looked at what you said Barry and it all became very much clearer as to how this worked, but I did notice though the did notice the lug on the small cog on the platter was worn a little, but will try as you suggest and get back to you with a report.

I had the audio going quite nice but for some strange reason it seems to have gone very quiet, I did change the cathode bypass cap, just maybe the cap I put in has gone defective.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 24th Mar 2018, 1:26 pm   #6
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi folks

I am still having trouble with the deck on this player, I managed to get the turntable to switch of by physically moving to arm to the centre, but it will not allow a record to drop, I took the large gear off and cleaned as suggested but could not get the part that sits below the gear to come out and where it is riveted to the pin that is intended to be on the plate is loose. I am still not sure if there is anything missing as yet from the underside of the deck.

I have put pictures so you can see where I have got to

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_102820.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	159834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_102628.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	159835   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_102539.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	159836  
Old 24th Mar 2018, 2:35 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

If the shaft on which the Cam Gear turns has worked loose, the cam may not be in the right position relative to the spindle. I once removed a stuck cam gear by pouring hot water into it's central hole. This melted the hardened grease, allowing the cam to be easily lifted off. The same method also freed off a seized platter.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 4:54 pm   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

The large cog must have ALL the trip parts removed and cleaned. The bit you have left on will come off if you heat it, either with a soldering iron, or dropping the whole thing in boiling water.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 5:33 pm   #9
Radio Tech
Nonode

Thank you Audio1950

I will try this and see if it does the trick, the cog being die cast aly I being a bit put off as I thought the cog would snap. I will have to obtain a new circlip for the platter though. I still wonder, if there is still something missing from the works underneath. I have now replaced all caps on the amplifier but still might have to get another cartridge, this one is a BSR X2HE.

Ken
Old 24th Mar 2018, 6:14 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Don't recognise the BSR cartridge type number X2HE?
Old 24th Mar 2018, 6:17 pm   #11
Station X

I expect the OP was referring to the stylus:-

https://www.gettheneedle.co.uk/index...-stylus-needle

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 10:38 am   #12
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Tech View Post
I will have to obtain a new circlip for the platter though.
Why do you need another circlip?
Old 25th Mar 2018, 2:41 pm   #13
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi folks

Have solved the auto section of this record player, I did leave the large gear in hot water for a few minutes and the swivel plate did eventually come out, the reason it was fitting tight was that the pin that goes through the gear was 4mm in diameter, the hole in the gear was 3.5mm so I drilled the hole in the gear to that of the pin on the swivel plate (part 45) but where the pin is riveted into the plate this had come loose so I tightened the rivet up and applied a small amount of solder around the rivet edge. Put it all back together and yes I had intended to replace the circlip that hold both spindle and turntable but managed to squeeze it back to a tighter fit, now the auto works fine. I replaced the dual 8uF with two separate ones (22uF) and fitted these underneath the chassis.

Job done, works well,

Thanks everyone for your input.

Best wishes

Ken
Closed Thread