UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2007, 3:03 pm   #1
Avro626
Retired Dormant Member

Default R1155/T1154 Trailing Aerial

Hi, I have just purchased a set of Trailing Aerial Weights with the Air Ministry Ref. No. 10B/7706 stampd on them - See photos. They are larger than the weights I have see in other photos and would like to know if anyone as any information on these particular weights and which aircraft they might have been use on. Ragards Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weights.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	14116   Click image for larger version

Name:	589 0021 a.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	14117  
Old 24th Dec 2007, 6:21 pm   #2
John H.
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: R1155/T1154 Trailing Aerial

Hi,
Your bead weights are described as; Ae. Weight. Bead, Type 2. in A.P.2548A. IMO these were used on any large aircraft requiring a long wire trailing MF aerial. eg, Lanc, Halifax etc.
I have one here but without the (wooden?) piece at the top, the brass collar is imprinted 10A/7706. Possibly yours was a design change requiring a later Ref No. There is another smaller bead weight with about 25 x 3/4 " beads in a string, listed as Ae. Weight, bead. Type No 1 Ref No 10B/7298
Cheers, John.
Old 26th Dec 2007, 2:47 pm   #3
Avro626
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: R1155/T1154 Trailing Aerial

Hello John, Thank you very much for the information on the Trailing Aerial Weight. The piece at the top is wooden and appears to be some sort of Hard Wood, nicely shaped to sit over the top lead weight. As I said I have seen pictures of the smaller 'string' types weights but never one as heavy as the one I have, each round weight is just about one and a quarter inch in diameter and one of them has a stamp on it which I just can't make out, it looks like a circle with the letters V M K (though the last letter is suspect) at the top. There is also a symbol at the bottom of the circle but I cannot make out what that is. Anyway thanks again for the information. Maybe someone else can tell us what the letters on the one weight are and what they mean? Best wishes, Dave.
Closed Thread