UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2018, 8:09 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default AF116 in the nude

I just thought I would have a play with an old bush tr82d all three af's were duff whisker problem , I have a load of silicone bc479's =bc556 .
To check the gain I disabled the osc and fed an if sig in adjusted the scope so as to see the difference easily, then fitted two bc479's , there was a loss in gain which was to be expected , so I adjusted the base bias on the second IF , there is a 22k to the poss rail by using a pre set pot I found that a 22k across it brought the gain up to more than before , very good so far after some experimenting I left the first IF as was , any more gain sent it unstable. not very good as the ocs though fitted an AF126 .

Just for fun cut open a duff new stock AF116 cleaned it out , tested it on my super duper tester the best thing since sliced bread , it even tells you the pin out , very useful , fitted it in the radio see it working in the nude , all good fun , if you want to restore a duff AF117 etc I found cutting the case whilst gripping it in a small vice make the cut near the bottom about one mil up quite easy, it looks like the top will fit back on then a blob of solder should do the job . Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0041.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	159716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0043.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	159717  

Last edited by vinrads; 22nd Mar 2018 at 8:19 pm.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 8:15 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: AF116 in the nude

Wow. It is no wonder that early transistors were expensive when you look at the labour-intensive internal construction.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 8:34 pm   #3
greg_simons
Octode

Remember when this first started becoming a problem, curiosity getting the better of me I opened an af117 to try and see what exactly the fault was, hey presto the short to ground was now gone and the transistor worked fine, little did I realize you need a very powerful microscope to see the whisker strands, i'm sure everyone knows this but there was a pile of stuff on the nasa website about this problem and how it afflicted early space electronics.
Greg.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 9:32 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
I just thought I would have a play with an old bush tr82d all three af's were duff whisker problem , I have a load of silicone bc479's =bc556 .
It's ironic that germanium transistors are the ones filled with silicone.

I'm (gently) pulling your leg of course.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 10:15 pm   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi Graham I did notice but to late to correct it . Mick.
Old 26th Mar 2018, 10:08 am   #6
flyingtech55
Octode

Were these early transistors really hand assembled?

Tim
Old 26th Mar 2018, 10:35 am   #7
Nymrod121
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
To check the gain I disabled the osc and fed an if sig in adjusted the scope so as to see the difference easily, then fitted two bc479's , there was a loss in gain which was to be expected , so I adjusted the base bias on the second IF , there is a 22k to the poss rail by using a pre set pot I found that a 22k across it brought the gain up to more than before , very good so far after some experimenting I left the first IF as was , any more gain sent it unstable. not very good as the ocs though fitted an AF126 .

Just for fun cut open a duff new stock AF116 cleaned it out , tested it on my super duper tester the best thing since sliced bread , it even tells you the pin out , very useful , fitted it in the radio see it working in the nude , all good fun , if you want to restore a duff AF117 etc I found cutting the case whilst gripping it in a small vice make the cut near the bottom about one mil up quite easy, it looks like the top will fit back on then a blob of solder should do the job . Mick.
Just spotted this ... loved it. Nice one, Mick; there's hope for my various Roberts radios yet
Guy
Old 26th Mar 2018, 12:45 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

it will be interesting to see how long it works! I believe atmospheric moisture reacts with germanium.

Raytheon tried making plastic-encapsulated Ge transistors, but found they didn't have a massively long life due to the plastic letting moisture in.
Old 26th Mar 2018, 2:52 pm   #9
Nymrod121
Nonode

Doh! - now he tells me. I've been cleaning some out & just put the Karcher away
Old 26th Mar 2018, 3:08 pm   #10
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
It's ironic that germanium transistors are the ones filled with silicone.
Ha Ha, I like that.

As noted if a silicon transistor is used it is important to increase the bias voltage a little to allow for the higher base-emitter voltage, or the gain will be lower. The easiest way is to tack a resistor across the base to negative supply resistor. Otherwise the only other way is to increase the base to ground resistor which is more awkward. Overall, it is probably better to replace with a non whisker affected germanium RF type.
Old 26th Mar 2018, 3:12 pm   #11
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Raytheon tried making plastic-encapsulated Ge transistors, but found they didn't have a massively long life due to the plastic letting moisture in.
Yes and that problem seemed a non issue for silicon. I have a 1970's vintage Hughes Corporation LED calculator watch, they have bare logic IC's with the silicon junctions, hundreds of them, exposed to air....and they still work!
Closed Thread