UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2018, 7:39 pm   #1
eddie_ce
Hexode

Default Output transformer question

Hi,

one of my current projects is building the signal tracer Smithy presented in the March 1970 edition of the much missed Radio Constructor. The output valve is a 6BW6 and an OPT of 45:1 for 3 Ohm LS was specified.

As the output stage will normally not be running at any significant power and will have a low duty cycle, I am thinking of using a 100V PA system transformer with a primary impedance of ~ 4600 ohms into a 4 ohm LS.

Will this be OK or are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

As always many thanks for taking the time to read and reply..
Old 16th Mar 2018, 7:51 pm   #2
Trevor
Octode

Default Re: Output transformer question

Core saturation the 100 volt line unit has interleaved E and I so it's likely to suffer from core saturation. Having said that I have used them with a fair result. You could always pull the laminations and then rebuild. I have also done this, but I did not think it was worth the effort.

Trev
Old 17th Mar 2018, 12:06 am   #3
joebog1
Banned

AS you state: the duty cycle is very low, you dont need hi-fi response, and you won't be using full power, so "any" small single ended transformer should work. If you do have real problems ( you shouldn't ) then I am sure somebody here can find such a transformer.

I have seen many projects using line transformers as output stages, so maybe a look at some of the guitar amp builder's sites would give you more accurate advice.

Best of luck
Joe
Old 17th Mar 2018, 10:05 am   #4
Cobaltblue

As Quality isn't that important you could try a 6V mains transformer.

It will saturate and the HF response won't be that good but such transformers are cheap and plentiful might be worth an experiment to see if it's good enough in this use

Cheers

Mike T
Old 21st Mar 2018, 4:01 pm   #5
peter_sol
Octode

A 100v line transformer will be too low an impedance.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 9:36 pm   #6
Trevor
Octode

Not quite true some 100 volt line units can be anything from 10 k down to 1k the main problem with them is core saturation
ren
Closed Thread