UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2019, 10:34 am   #1
captainpugwash
Hexode

Default Reel to reel tape recorder question.

Good morning.
I am going to set up a mono hifi system which is going to consist of Quad QCII with matching AM and FM tuners and as yet unspecified amp.
What make of reel to reel would have been the popular choice at that time to accompany this set up ?
I suppose I am looking for the equivalent of what the Akai 4000 was to hifi in it's day.
Kind regards.
David
Old 8th Aug 2019, 11:08 am   #2
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Reel to reel tape recorder question.

Just in case anyone's not sure, the QCII was in production from 1953 to 1959, when it was replaced with the stereo Quad 22, and the AM and FM tuners were launched in 1954 and 1955 respectively.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 8th Aug 2019, 11:22 am   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

Popular choice would have been a Ferrograph 2AN or 3 AN - into the sixties a 4AN.

Other possibilities would be a Brenell Mk5 or maybe a Truvox for the less well heeled.
Old 8th Aug 2019, 11:27 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

Around in that era.... probably something like one of those Truvox decks with the formica-covered ply tops. Various firms did electronics to go with them. EG Stern's

There were early models from Philips and Grundig that weren't really up to the Quad's standard.

Probably the early Ferrographs would have been a match and overlapped with the end of the QCII. On that thought, a Vortexion wouldn't look out of place.

David
Old 8th Aug 2019, 4:00 pm   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

A Ferrograph would be the logical choice - Richrad Arbib's elaborate home system of around this time used Quad and Ferrograph, I think. The Grundig TK819/20/30 were actually good enough for IBC to use them as mobile recorders, but customers would have been more likely to plump for Ferrograph at the time.
Old 8th Aug 2019, 8:31 pm   #6
captainpugwash
Hexode

Good evening,

Many thanks for the replies.

For some reason I had not thought of Ferrograph or indeed Vortexion

I will start looking out for a Ferrograph at a reasonable price. The last one I bought was £5 at a radio rally and my arm has only just recovered from carrying it back to the car.

I may also investigate the Truvox path as well with possibly outboard electronics as David has mentioned.

The Grundigs maybe as outsiders.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

David
Old 8th Aug 2019, 8:51 pm   #7
Restoration73
Nonode

I think the Brenell 3 motor deck was well engineered, and also offered as a complete
recorder.
Old 9th Aug 2019, 8:04 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

I knew I'd miss one!

Sorry, Brenell.

One of their machines would be bery suitable, though you need to beware of open-circuit Bogen heads.

David
Old 9th Aug 2019, 9:05 am   #9
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Perhaps even a Soundmaster?
Old 9th Aug 2019, 9:19 am   #10
rontech
Heptode

I had a 1959 Truvox with plywood/formica deck together with the Truvox record/playback preamp. The deck had interchangeable capstan sleeves for ( I think ) 7.5 / 15 ips and a smaller one for ( again not sure ) 3.75 / 7.5 . the high speed sleeve was fine but the smaller one gave wow and flutter problems.

Eventually replaced it with a Brenell mk 5 complete tape recorder with is own record playback and loudspeaker units. This was an excellent machine and was in regular use for 20 years or so
Old 9th Aug 2019, 10:09 am   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I have a Truvox deck and amplifier from the early '50s in need of some TLC although it does work - after a style, pressure pad on the record/play head is missing.

Peter
Closed Thread