UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2017, 12:59 pm   #21
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker RP25A - Missing MW/LW reception

I've just ordered 50 from eBay. I paid 16p each, but decided to pick a UK seller that is selling Fairchild versions - hopefully genuine NOS. I'm looking forward to seeing how they behave - it'll be good to be able to make a recommendation that is still moderately available, so thanks for the heads-up
Old 6th May 2017, 1:10 pm   #22
paulsherwin

I don't think Fairchild/ONsemi are still making them, but there must be millions of the things in warehouses around the world, quite apart from the unbranded ones coming out of China. 16p per unit is very reasonable from a UK supplier.

There is a recommended successor transistor to the MPSH10, but I can't remember what it is at the moment.
Old 6th May 2017, 2:57 pm   #23
mhennessy
Dekatron

They've been obsolete since 2012, so if mine are genuine, they'll be NOS. Better that than fake. I'll also pick up a selection of Chinese ones to compare - in fairness, they might be absolutely fine... Even if those are fake, they'll probably perform well enough in IF strips, and compared to the BC548-style transistors, they have the advantage of the BEC pinout.
Old 6th May 2017, 7:19 pm   #24
Thyristor
Pentode

Thanks for the headsup with the MPSH10; I'm currently dealing with a troublesome Sov III; so I'm going to give them a try. I replaced the BC149 with a BC549 on the tone board today, which has improved things considerably, but I'm not there yet; and its a 721MB, so its a life or death mission.
Old 15th May 2017, 7:28 pm   #25
GeoffK
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Completely separate circuits up to the audio amplifier board, like other Sovereigns except the last (Sovereign IV). All else aside, the arrangement simplified Hacker's offering a full range of its larger portables: the Heralds left out the FM tuner and IF board, the FM-only VHF Herald omitted the AM sections.
Thanks for this information Paul, interesting that they made them this way even after valve radios had used series IF coils as a standard design in AM/FM sets.