UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2017, 2:10 pm   #1
Aristotle
Tetrode

Default Hacker Hunter - what is it that makes them so good ?

I bought a late close to mint Hunter RP38A a couple of years ago and it remains one of the best radios in my small collection.

Despite the general eulogies received from their owners I've always wondered if as a model they could always be counted on (in good condition) to perform as well as my first purchase.

I recently bought several radio's from a chap downsizing which will keep me engrossed and in refurbishment mode for some time - - one of the radio's was a working RP38A with various missing bits and some cosmetic challenges. This radio I couldn't stay away from so immediately launched into it's refurb.

It's now complete and quite frankly for sound quality I can't tell the difference between my first Hunter and this one - it really is very very good.

So from someone who is very much a hobbyist collector, who barely knows what a transistor, resistor or capacitor does, what is it that makes this small remarkable collection of plastic, metal and wood sound so good.

I know it has excellent build quality and a good Elac speaker but what else does it have - - is it to do with design and/or the quality of it's components ?

What ever it is - it makes bringing them back to a decent condition very rewarding.

David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170518_125525.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	142761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170518_125625.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	142762  
Old 18th May 2017, 2:23 pm   #2
Jonster
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker Hunter - what is it that makes them so good ?

I think the quality and sturdiness of the case probably helps too, as a flimsy case would be more resonant. The design seems to be well balanced in that the amplifier and speaker complement each other well, the sound is very natural, especially so on speech.

Last edited by Jonster; 18th May 2017 at 2:23 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 18th May 2017, 7:56 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Hunter - what is it that makes them so good ?

It's the general belief of Hacker aficionados that the Elac speaker provides the set with a good, well balanced frequency response. Otherwise the set has many similarities circuit-wise with other Hacker sets (some of 'higher ranking' when considering the original sales price) yet the RP38A just sounds better. So yes, it is the speaker that makes it that way.

See recent discussion on this very subject: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...d.php?t=135896

BTW moderators, I reckon this thread should be in the 'Vintage radio' section as it is quite specific, not general.

Last edited by stevehertz; 18th May 2017 at 8:03 pm.
Closed Thread