UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2023, 8:21 pm   #1
misterp
Triode

Default Plastic case cleaning

Hello everyone. I am restoring/modifying a ivory/white GPO 706 telephone but it has a badly stained case. It looks like nicotine or UV light has made it go off white. I have tried all the usual cleaning methods but it doesn't do anything, has anyone any tips please? I was wondering if a water and bleach solution would help or would it ruin the finish? Many thanks.
Old 6th Mar 2023, 9:16 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Plastic case cleaning

Plastic ivory phones are famous for UV/age related yellowing. I've used the retr0brite process to restore the colour of a number of ivory/cream plastic cases and it works well. There are various approaches but the process basically involves the application of peroxide and exposure to UV (strong sunlight will do). A bit of googling will give you the information needed.

Nicotine itself is colourless and it's the tar in tobacco smoke that leaves unpleasant deposits but any staining is readily removed with traditional cleaning products.

Alan
Old 6th Mar 2023, 9:40 pm   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

The pictured Commodore datasette was an obvious candidate for the Retr0brite (Retr0bright) treatment as illustrated by the first photo. This was very much a 'quick and dirty' trial so I wasn't expecting spectacular results. Basically I brushed a coating of cream peroxide (hair product) on to the top half of the case, wrapped it in cling film and put it on a roasting tray lined with aluminium foil which was then postioned outside on a south facing window sill for four hours (turning occasionaly). The second photo shows the outcome. There was no apparent surface damage but I've not tried chlorinated bleach.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2N Before.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	274492   Click image for larger version

Name:	C2N After.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	274493  
Old 7th Mar 2023, 7:33 am   #4
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Alan has right, but it may be quite a job to get it 100% perfect.
Here is a thread, it has link to another thread that links to....
Plenty of reading http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/f...8773#msg238773
Closed Thread