UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2023, 12:23 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Wartime Civilian Radio Restoration, U numbers and an unusual LW addition

Hi all

I've recently picked up this Wartime Civilian Receiver, it was just down the road so I couldn't resist. I've only had one of these long ago in the past but I recall the construction on that model slightly different (through chassis electrolytic can etc). This one has a group of paper tubular electrolytic clamped to the underside.

This one has been modified with a long wave addition, one I haven't seen before by a brand called RadElec, a little different to the usual LW mods on these sets. I'm unsure whether to keep or remove it but if it works well then I think it will stay as it remains a part of the sets history. I'll try and clean up some photos of the faceplate which is screwed on the back of the set but it's very faded and worn.

Regarding U numbers for manufacturer ID, is there any hidden places on the chassis for these to appear? I can't find one at all on this set and I was hoping to find out who built it. Maybe not all sets were stamped?

I'm early on in the restoration, just given the chassis a dust but not much else as of yet. I'll slowly bring it up and see what life it has then make the necessary repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230319_105636_edit_404076788906570.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	275292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230319_103711_edit_404956715936123.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	275293  
Old 19th Mar 2023, 12:58 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Wartime Civilian Radio Restoration, U numbers and an unusual LW addition

I would keep the LW as it is and look for a MW version, which will be a lot easier than finding another LW version. It is all part of the history of the set and would have been used for possibly many years like that. Just my pennies worth.
Re makers number, some were stamped in the metal some just an ink stamp, usually on the back of the chassis and could be seen without removing the the sets back.

John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 19th Mar 2023 at 1:04 pm.
Old 19th Mar 2023, 1:44 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Wartime Civilian Radio Restoration, U numbers and an unusual LW addition

Usually stamped in ink on the rear apron of the chassis, and as John says visible without taking the back panel off.

A pic of mine attached.

I've also attached a copy of an early BVWS Bulletin which has an interesting article on the WCR.

It didn't go into production until July 1944 as the war was drawing to and close, and in July 1945, the BBC Light programme went on air by which time many WCRs remained unsold, and better radios were beginning to come onto the market. Hence, to try to shift surplus stocks, a lot of dealers converted them to work on Long Wave, some adding a new dial. Doubtless there were DIY conversions too, some better than others.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WCR Sersial No.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	275296  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BVWS_Bulletin_15_1.pdf (3.41 MB, 75 views)
Old 19th Mar 2023, 8:54 pm   #4
wartime sounds
Tetrode

Hi Ef80tvvalve,

As a person who collects the Wartime Civilian Receiver I have seen many LW add-on modifications made to the receiver (both manufacturer and home constructed) and in my experience removing it presents more problems that it is worth. Equally so (also from experience) most I have restored with LW attached work well so from a personal point of view I would be inclined to leave it in and also as 60 OldJohn says it is part of the receivers history and journey it has been on.
As regards the U identification number, if missing an educated guess as to the manufacturer can be quite often made from other parts fitted to the receiver as often the manufacturer would use parts still in stock from pre-war days or other receivers they had produced in the past. Mains and IF transformers being such components, the Loudspeaker and its way of mounting and also the knobs fitted to the front all giving clues to who made it. I have in my collection (or recorded) around half of the 44 listed manufacturers that undertook manufacturer so If you could post any pictures then I would be more than happy to try to identify your particular receivers maker if I can for you. If the Pictures are too many or too large for this forum then please feel free to email them to me directly.
Hope this helps,
Kind regards

Peter

www.wartimesounds.co.uk
Old 19th Mar 2023, 9:17 pm   #5
stitch1
Heptode

The one I have has no U mark either I understand paper labels were also used. I believe mine is The Gramaphone company (HMV).

John
Old 19th Mar 2023, 9:51 pm   #6
Cathovisor
Banned

I only know my first WCR is an Ultra by the design of the control knobs and IFTs.

The rest, unsurprisingly, are all Bush.
Old 19th Mar 2023, 11:04 pm   #7
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments on these sets. Having looked closer at the chassis today I'll be keeping the LW addition fitted as it's been done fairly well, I wasn't too keen on the idea of removing it anyway but should it have been very poorly done then I would have considered it. Peter (Wartime Sounds) I've added some photos for you to hopefully help identify.

This particular one looks as though it has never had a U stamp anywhere. There are some circular inspection/production line stamps as often seen on many old sets. The output transformer has a serial type number hand written in a purple ink. The tops of the IF cans also had the same hand written markings but the paint was badly flaking with no way to save it. The IF cans themselves look fairly unique to a particular manufacturer I would imagine. I've also added some photos of the front control knobs which hopefully along with the rest may help identify a manufacturer. The speaker is a Plessey brand. Thinkign about it I may have seen similar stamps and hand written numbers on other Plessey products.

It would be great to find out the manufacturer on the set as I find it an interesting aspect of the Civilian receivers. I've given the cabinet a very good clean today, as well as the chassis. I'm yet to apply any power as the mains lead is too poor so I've ordered some of the repro twisted flex to sympathetically replace the original.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20230319_214954_edit_421592778879418.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	275321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230319_215034.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	275322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230319_215116.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	275323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230319_215051_edit_421761721295538.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	275324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230319_215209.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	275325  

Old 20th Mar 2023, 12:26 am   #8
murphymad
Heptode

The knobs are Plessey made/sourced and were used on Defiant radios.

Mike...
Old 20th Mar 2023, 7:57 am   #9
wartime sounds
Tetrode

Hi Ef80tvvalve,

Having had a looked at my database of Wartime Civilian Receiver manufacturers and variants it seems that your mystery set is quite possibly a U23 (Plessey Company Ltd.)

As Mike says the Knobs are Plessey and match what I have recorded for the U23 also the IF and Mains Transformers match what I have recorded along with the type and orientation of the Loudspeaker / Output Tx.

Also on my information, the serial number is printed on a paper label similar to yours. Interesting enough the U number is actually printed on mine in faint black ink immediately above the serial number sheet. So it might be worth having a closer look near your label for any trace of lettering or numbering.

Hope this helps.

Peter

www.wartimesounds.co.uk
Old 20th Mar 2023, 1:39 pm   #10
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Thanks both Peter and Mike for the Plessey ID. I've had a look closely for a U number but there isn't even the faintest smidgen of one on the chassis. I do wonder if it is behind the glued on paper serial number, I don't want to remove it to find out though as it's fairly conclusive that this is a Plessey manufactured set.

Hopefully it will restore well, I've always enjoyed these Wartime Civilian receivers and it's amazing how many of them have survived, especially considering the many sets they could have been replaced with soon after the war.

I should get around to doing some more work on it this week so I'll keep the thread updated with the results and some nice pictures too.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 11:15 am   #11
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Well last night I managed to give the radio some attention. A new mains lead was wired in and I very slowly brought it up on the Variac, checking over and making sure nothing was going short or drawing too much current. Other than the light background hum the set appears to be otherwise dead. A quick check over the various stages shown no obvious fault so my suspicion points to the westector which can sometimes fail in these. I'm sure I have some OA90 diodes hanging around so I'll fit one and see if the set springs into life. Once I have some life from it then I'm sure it'll just be a simple repair job of replacing critical components.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 1:26 pm   #12
wartime sounds
Tetrode

Hi Ef80tvvalve,

Good to hear that your progressing well with your restoration.

Whilst I've had little problems with the Westector in my restorations they do fail so with everything else appearing ok it's a good starting point in your repair and the OA90 should work fine.

Don't under estimate the need for a good aerial though as where I am located in Bristol for instance, the Medium and Long wave signals are almost non existence with much local interference as well. Looking forward to seeing those restored pictures and updates.

Peter

www.wartimesounds.co.uk
Old 25th Mar 2023, 4:48 pm   #13
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Thank you Peter, I've not had a problem with the westector on one of these sets yet but I've only restored a couple in the past. I'm quite certain that it will give good results once it's been replaced and I can then do what is necessary so it doesn't end up in smoke! I don't want to over do this one as it is nicely original other than the LW addition so it'll be good to try and keep as much of it as is.

Cheers
Bren
Old 5th Apr 2023, 4:08 pm   #14
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Well a small update on the little Civilian radio, I replaced the westector with an OA90 and this time was met with some life from the set, I managed to tune into a few local stations but the set isn't particularly sensitive, that said I was only using approx 6ft of wire indoors. The LW addition needs looking over as it doesn't actually 'switch over' to LW as such but rather shifts the MW frequency range along the scale more. I'll have to also try and find some information on this particular LW kit but so far my research has turned up nothing on it, hopefully it can be sorted fairly but I do wonder if the extra coil could be short as it is looking quite sorry for itself and sits in a pitch filled tube that seems to have bubbled and oozed at some time in the past. Hopefully I'll have a little more time to look over this week.
Closed Thread