UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Old 23rd Mar 2023, 9:11 pm   #41
stacman
Hexode

Default Re: 'Mend it Mark' YouTube Channel

Mark is a great watch, and his knowledge and ability are first class, and the workshop is what we on here would love to have, presentation style makes it a great watch, all done with a smile and explained too.
Although like Barry, I have a question, perhaps it can be answered on here, I watched the one where he repairs the record player, well a refurb, new rexine, strip and clean of the turntable, he then replaces the old worn out crystal cartridge with a new magnetic one,
Would that work?, as I thought the cartridges had differing input impedance?
Wouldn't that affect the volume?
Thoughts
Regards, Alan.
stacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 10:20 pm   #42
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
He repairs just about anything, ........his breadth of knowledge and experience is very impressive.

A class apart from many on YouTube and his videos (43 to date) and camera work are top notch.

I don't think anyone could ever be miserable when in his company.
I just watched the repair of the Hantarex video monitor.....Very impressed with his rewind of the driver transformer. He's the sort of guy that would say....' transformer not available? No problem...I'll wind one'!

I can watch his video's for hours....(and unashamedly admit that I have....)!
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 11:33 pm   #43
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacman View Post
he then replaces the old worn out crystal cartridge with a new magnetic one,
Would that work?, as I thought the cartridges had differing input impedance?
Wouldn't that affect the volume?
It would not work directly. The difference in output voltage is very large and also the piezo-electric cartridges are deflection-sensitive while magnetic cartridges are velocity sensitive. So if a magnetic cartridge is fitted, a little preamplifier with the necessary equalisation, often called an RIAA stage needs to be added.

As a second consideration, most magnetic cartridges are designed for lighter tracking forces and gentler use that the ceramic and crystal cartridges usually found thumping about at the end of autochanger arms.

So, for the better turntables like SP25s and SL86s a magnetic cartridge is quite reasonable with an added RIAA preamp.

David
Old 24th Mar 2023, 9:48 am   #44
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Morning David.
Thank You For taking the time to post this on the forum i enjoyed it and it go to show that if you know what you are doing it makes life a lot easier. I would love to have some-one like Mark to live next door to me.

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Hoyland; 24th Mar 2023 at 10:01 am.
Kevin Hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2023, 11:35 pm   #45
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I've watched a number of Mark's videos and enjoyed them.

If I were to make one criticism, it would be although the photography is good, well lit, and each shot carefully composed, there is no need for auto-focus!
Graham G3ZVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2023, 8:49 pm   #46
Paul Stenning
Administrator

For those who watch Mark, he has a nice Telefunken Opus 7 from 1957 on the bench this week, for repair and Bluetooth mod. A good 55 minutes which I’m watching now.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Paul Stenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2023, 10:05 am   #47
Colourstar
Octode

I have to commend Mark's latest upload in which he tackles a fiendishly complex early 1980s Aiwa cassette deck. It involves re-winding a motor and other very fiddly mechanical repairs. I really admire his fault-finding process on this one and he freely admits to making the occasional mistake.

As usual the video is a pleasure to watch- beautifully shot and edited, bright and pin-sharp. It really sets the standard for repair videos and as usual Mark's good humour shines through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpctKF-rhHE

Steve
Colourstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2023, 11:41 am   #48
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Yes, the Aiwa repair part 1 is well worth watching and I'm looking forward to part 2!
Patrick Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2023, 5:53 pm   #49
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes, I watched that yesterday evening. I also admire his patience with what must be a nightmare job, and also not being put off by things like burnt-out motors.

Paul Stenning
Old 20th Dec 2023, 7:35 pm   #50
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The thing that always needs to be borne in mind with Mark and other professional electronics engineers, particularly when working on vintage radios, which he occasionally does, is that he is fulfilling the brief of his client. Mostly, that is not 'restoring' but diagnosing and repairing defects in the minimum time and at minimum cost to the client, something at which he excels. He is not a hobbyist with time on his hands 'restoring' equipment, which - at commercial rates - would be far beyond the worth of the equipment or what the client would wish to pay for.

He has such a wide breadth of expertise - on his Aiwa video, he said 'these came out in 1982 when I was only five', so it's unlikely he's seen one before, but undaunted, it's in pieces in no time, and off he goes on a 'voyage of discovery'. His videos are a joy to watch, he clearly enjoys his work, and would light up any room. For me, his standout moment is 17.50 mins into this video, and the words he uttered that followed 'ouch'!

'Repair (and shock!) from the Sargent EC225 Caravan Power System':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndp6P8iVJY4

If that hasn't happened in an unguarded moment to anyone reading this, your time will surely come!
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2023, 2:35 pm   #51
PaulR
Dekatron

I am always very impressed by his electronic knowledge and willingness to tackle almost anything - such as the Aiwa deck with its multiple issues and previous bodged repair. His skills in non-electronic restoration are also very impressive, such as replacing the Rexine on a record player and fabricating things such as missing or broken handles and knobs from scratch.
Old 22nd Dec 2023, 12:42 am   #52
defender
Pentode

I think he could do a good job getting techmoans broken equipment going again, it would be interesting.
defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2024, 7:54 pm   #53
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The second part of the Aiwa cassette deck repair is now on his channel (12 minutes ago).

Paul Stenning
Old 25th Jan 2024, 11:26 pm   #54
PaulR
Dekatron

Another very skilful episode - although I do ask myself why bother. Looking forward to episode 3.
Old 26th Jan 2024, 10:37 am   #55
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Indeed, the amount of time and effort going into this cassette deck must be costing the owner a fortune (although some will be covered by the YouTube ad revenue). It seems more like a personal satisfaction and doesn't want to be beaten project now.

It really shows how determined Mark is to get it working properly though, way beyond what most other repairers and restorers would consider.

Paul Stenning
Old 26th Jan 2024, 6:30 pm   #56
knobtwiddler
Octode

As a fellow tape deck masochist, I tuned into the Aiwa repair after seeing this thread. What is he doing removing the multi-pin 'Molex' type connectors by pulling them off by the wires, not the housing body? That's likely to pull strands out of the crimps, i.e. bad for long term reliability. I can't be the only one to notice this?
knobtwiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2024, 7:52 pm   #57
agardiner
Octode

Exceptional. I always watch his videos but this Akai is another level. I would love to see him tackle a Sony PRO80 that has suffered with leaky capacitors! I bet he would rewind any damaged IF coils.
agardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2024, 2:15 pm   #58
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Interesting to see Mark diagnose and repair a duff 'Kath Kidston' Roberts RD60 DAB radio.

A joy to watch if anyone hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqKIKSzD6yw&t=16s

I doubt that many of us would be able to diagnose the problems (one in the power supply - the other, audio), let alone to have the dexterity and microscope to effect a repair. (SMDs). Way above my paygrade!

Some may wonder if the likely cost of the repair to the customer made economic sense.

Well obviously it did to them, and given that when it came out in 2009 the radio was a limited edition with a £200 price tag, (equates to £460 today), there's some 'headroom' for the repair costs. That said, the current Kath Kidston 'Monty' Dab/FM radio (not Roberts, but a Which 'Best Buy'), is typically £80. Mains/Battery with a rechargeable battery, 60 pre-sets, Bluetooth etc.

As ever, an excellent well-edited video by someone on top of his game, in stark contrast to many videos on YouTube.
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2024, 2:41 pm   #59
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, amazing skills, and such a likeable man. As David implies, not everyone on YouTube ticks either of those boxes!

The only thing that occasionally grates is his tendency to stab at buttons idiotically when he's trying to demonstrate that a bit of equipment is dead, but that aside, I could watch him all day. It's now my preferred choice of viewing if I'm in the mood for a bit of electronics but am too exhausted to actually go to the shed and get stuck-in myself.
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2024, 6:51 pm   #60
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Some may wonder if the likely cost of the repair to the customer made economic sense.
He repaired a low value midi system sometime last year and posted in the comments that it was only viable due to the advert revenue from YouTube for the video.

That probably applies to the Awia cassette deck too, which will be at least three videos by the time it's finished.

However it does mean that we get to enjoy watching him tackle these complex repairs, and it saves the items from WEEE, so everyone wins.

Paul Stenning