UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2023, 9:55 pm   #1
NeedAlbaStylus
Triode

Default Amplifier for Beocord 1900 tape deck

Hello

I've got a Bang & Olufsen Beocord 1900 tape deck and so I'm looking for speakers and an amplifier to work with this and I wondered if anyone could give me some pointers of what types to look for that would work best with this.

Looking to spend up to £150 for both and besides function, I'm looking for something with a similar look to the Beocord 1900 i.e. wood and/or silver.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 6th Mar 2023, 11:31 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Amplifier for Beocord 1900 tape deck

The obvious solution is to go for a Beomaster 1900 from the same period, though these are pricey in good working condition.

https://beocentral.com/beomaster1900
Old 7th Mar 2023, 1:05 am   #3
NeedAlbaStylus
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The obvious solution is to go for a Beomaster 1900 from the same period, though these are pricey in good working condition.

https://beocentral.com/beomaster1900
Thanks Paul, I came across this did have a look on eBay but they’re hard to find in working condition sadly. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 7th Mar 2023, 10:09 am   #4
paulsherwin

You could use any amp or receiver from the second half of the 70s that you like the look of. You should bear in mind that 70s amps tend to be less reliable than those made a few years later.
Old 7th Mar 2023, 10:32 am   #5
NeedAlbaStylus
Triode

Quote:
You could use any amp or receiver from the second half of the 70s that you like the look of. You should bear in mind that 70s amps tend to be less reliable than those made a few years later.
Oh good to know I'll keep that in mind, thank you! Currently I can connect it to my old radiogram and it works well so maybe I'll hold out for a Beomaster 1900. Are there any speakers that you might recommend to use along with that?
Old 7th Mar 2023, 10:51 am   #6
paulsherwin

Again, Beovox speakers from the 70s are the obvious choice, but any good quality speakers from that era from people like Wharfedale or Goodmans would be ideal. Some vintage bass drivers are prone to rotting surrounds, so always check this before spending any money (though repair is possible).

https://beocentral.com/original-beovox
https://beocentral.com/beovox-uniphase
Old 7th Mar 2023, 11:12 am   #7
Michael Maurice

I have got various amplifiers and speakers from that period, some B&O but they would cost you a lot more than £150.

PM me if you're interested.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 7th Mar 2023, 5:06 pm   #8
NeedAlbaStylus
Triode

Quote:
Again, Beovox speakers from the 70s are the obvious choice, but any good quality speakers from that era from people like Wharfedale or Goodmans would be ideal. Some vintage bass drivers are prone to rotting surrounds, so always check this before spending any money (though repair is possible).

https://beocentral.com/original-beovox
https://beocentral.com/beovox-uniphase
This is great thank you! I’ll do a search on eBay and see what I can find.
Old 7th Mar 2023, 8:24 pm   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Some vintage bass drivers are prone to rotting surrounds, so always check this before spending any money (though repair is possible).
Is there an easy/practical way to determine if the bass drivers have rotting surrounds ?

David
Old 7th Mar 2023, 10:43 pm   #10
paulsherwin

You just take the front cover off and have a look at the condition.
Old 8th Mar 2023, 9:30 am   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

i.e. there will be gaping holes visible.

e.g. https://audioimprov.com/AudioImprov/...apeimage_1.png

or

https://hagensieker.com/wp-content/u.../IMG_9203.jpeg

Or they'll crumble if you touch them.
Old 8th Mar 2023, 10:10 am   #12
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAlbaStylus View Post
Are there any speakers that you might recommend to use along with that?
Don't try to choose speakers to match your amplifier.

Choose speakers which work best with your room, its acoustics and where you want to or have to place them. They have a much larger effect on the sound than amplifiers.

Then, choose an amplifier capable of driving those speakers. Some speakers really can't be driven to their capabilities by just any amplifier.

The flexible surrounds to the cones of many bass and midrange drivers can go crumbly or rot over the years, as said earlier in the thread. You really need to check before buying.

Also people have tis tendency to use hifi gear whenthey have a party, and they wind it up to eleven. This has the unfortunate result of burning out tweeters. Curiously, it's too-small amplifiers which are the biggest risk here. This sounds counter-intuitive but there are plenty of speakers out there with one or more tweeter units not working. So you need to listen carefully. Human hearing degrading from high level exposure, age, disease etc. the owners of these speakers may not even be aware.

Tweeters can often be replaced, but rarely with the exact original type. Fitting something else may be fine, or may not suit the equalisation tricks in the crossover network.

There are some excellent amplifiers out there on the second-hand market. The 1980s were a high point. There are good designs from the seventies, but you have to look a bit more carefully to find them. By the nineties things were less easy again. Cheaper amoplifiers were just that, along with a switch to designing them around commodity power output modules which can't now be replaced (Look up STK modules)

B&O amplifiers mostly didn't have electronics up to the standard of their aesthetics. Amplifiers make heat, so cramming a powerful amp into a highly elegant cabinet is going to yield problems. It means that they are both likely to need repair and are not fun to work on.

David
Old 8th Mar 2023, 12:50 pm   #13
Cobaltblue

I don't know if this will help.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8696193463682/

Cheers

Mike T
Old 8th Mar 2023, 5:30 pm   #14
NeedAlbaStylus
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAlbaStylus View Post
Are there any speakers that you might recommend to use along with that?
Don't try to choose speakers to match your amplifier.

Choose speakers which work best with your room, its acoustics and where you want to or have to place them. They have a much larger effect on the sound than amplifiers.

Then, choose an amplifier capable of driving those speakers. Some speakers really can't be driven to their capabilities by just any amplifier.

The flexible surrounds to the cones of many bass and midrange drivers can go crumbly or rot over the years, as said earlier in the thread. You really need to check before buying.

Also people have tis tendency to use hifi gear whenthey have a party, and they wind it up to eleven. This has the unfortunate result of burning out tweeters. Curiously, it's too-small amplifiers which are the biggest risk here. This sounds counter-intuitive but there are plenty of speakers out there with one or more tweeter units not working. So you need to listen carefully. Human hearing degrading from high level exposure, age, disease etc. the owners of these speakers may not even be aware.

Tweeters can often be replaced, but rarely with the exact original type. Fitting something else may be fine, or may not suit the equalisation tricks in the crossover network.

There are some excellent amplifiers out there on the second-hand market. The 1980s were a high point. There are good designs from the seventies, but you have to look a bit more carefully to find them. By the nineties things were less easy again. Cheaper amoplifiers were just that, along with a switch to designing them around commodity power output modules which can't now be replaced (Look up STK modules)

B&O amplifiers mostly didn't have electronics up to the standard of their aesthetics. Amplifiers make heat, so cramming a powerful amp into a highly elegant cabinet is going to yield problems. It means that they are both likely to need repair and are not fun to work on.

David
Hi David

Thanks for this information it's really useful. I'll have to do a bit of research then. I've been more of a headphones person over the years (Audio Technica) and I've never had to buy speakers before. And with this info I'm more concerned about buying something that might break down in a few years.

I'm tempted to go down the brand new route instead to save me the headache but none of the new ones have the look I go for.

I found a pair of beautiful STE-MA speakers on Facebook Marketplace but I'm glad I didn't buy them because this is all very complex.

In order to choose speakers for the room I'd have to learn more about acoustics etc! I want good quality but I'm far too novice to be able to pick up on any imperfections in the sound of the speakers! Thanks for this info though it's a great starting point!
Old 8th Mar 2023, 5:34 pm   #15
NeedAlbaStylus
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
I don't know if this will help.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8696193463682/

Cheers

Mike T
Thanks Mike, that's a long way from London, they're beautiful though!
Old 8th Mar 2023, 11:53 pm   #16
chriswood1900
Octode

I might be able to help, I have sent you a PM.
Old 9th Mar 2023, 9:28 pm   #17
Beobloke
Heptode

It would be a crime to use a Beocord 1900 with anything other than a Beomaster 1900 in my opinion!

Beovox S35 or S45 speakers would complete things perfectly.
Old 13th Mar 2023, 5:30 pm   #18
daveobuchanan
Pentode

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...a/ua-900.shtml

This one or a very similar in this style rumoured to have been designed by Tim de Paravicini, and be pretty decent.
Closed Thread