UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2023, 12:19 pm   #1
1100 man
Octode

Default Melamine Lacquer - Has anyone used it?

A friend brought me a dashboard (OT for the forum) that he had refinished with this product. The problem was that after several months of storage wrapped in bubble wrap, it had all cracked & started to lift.

I was impressed with the high gloss finish & hardness of the surface. Doing some research, it would seem to be a cellulose lacquer that 'cures' fully after about a week. It seems that some experience is needed to get good results, especially on large areas.

My interest in it is for refinishing TV cabinets from the '60's which were done in a high gloss finish.

Has anyone had any experience of using this? I can't find any detailed instructions from the manufacturer (Chestnut), but I suspect the cracking was caused by a build up of too many coats too quickly, trapping solvent in the lower layers?

It looks like potentially a very useful product, so I would be interested to find out more about its use.

Cheers
Nick
Old 5th Mar 2023, 5:35 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Melamine Lacquer - Has anyone used it?

It's used to some extent by woodturners because melamine is food-safe and toy-safe.

It's worth reading what Chestnut Products have to say about it in terms of curing time, which can be up to two weeks to fully cure:

Quote:

‘The lacquer dries within five minutes like a cellulose and then the catalyst kicks in and the lacquer goes on to chemically cure to give a more durable coating. 90% of the curing process happens in the first seven days after application, making the lacquer very hard wearing, the remaining 10% of the process can take up to two weeks more to give maximum toughness, something you only need to consider if the lacquer is going to be subjected to extremely hard use’.

More information about it's composition here:

https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/produ...ine-lacquer-2/

This is from Chestnut Products website too, about the application of Melamine:

Quote:

“I was asked about any tips for using Melamine Lacquer recently; it is one of our more finicky products and takes a bit of getting used to. Patience and practise are the best tips, but as well as that, ambient conditions can make a difference. Cold weather will have an adverse effect in how the lacquer flows out, so a warmer environment is always preferable. If working on a large area thinning the lacquer slightly (20%) will help brush/cloth marks flow out as well. A light cut back between coats is always good, to ensure a smooth surface. There are a couple of cheats available as well to get the best finish; you can apply the last coat using the aerosol version, Melamine Gloss Lacquer. Spraying will nearly always give you a better finish and being the same product there are no compatibility concerns. And if all else fails use Burnishing Cream on the last coat to get the best possible shine”.

End quote.

https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/melam...-and-checking/

You don't say whether you intend to spray the lacquer or apply it by brush. If by brush, don't shake the can vigorously or you'll get lots of air bubbles in the lacquer which will rise to the surface and may show up as blemishes when the lacquer sets. Just tip the can upside down a few times.

It's also available in aerosol form, which is more easily applied:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203030399...hoCA-cQAvD_BwE

I have occasionally used melamine lacquer, but many woodturners and cabinet makers, myself included, who want a high gloss finish tend to use clear gloss auto lacquer, notable U-Pol 'Clearcoat' which is widely used in the motor trade. I think that would be more suited to a car dashboard as it's UV resistant, and designed to withstand the ravages of whatever the weather throws at it. When used on radio and TV cabinets as it's UV resistant and tolerant to temperature variations it should retain its gloss appearance.

It dries quickly, doesn't 'orange peel' or sag and can be recoated in an hour or two.

It comes in 500ml cans.

EG:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203030399...hoCA-cQAvD_BwE

Pic 1: A Murphy A124 which I re-veneered in Sapele mahogany, finished with sanding sealer then sprayed with several coats of U-Pol Clearcoat.

Pic 2: A KB FB10 which had a smashed cabinet that I repaired, primed, and sprayed red gloss, finished in U-Pol Clearcoat.

Pic 3: A small Iroko bowl I turned and finished with Melamine.

Hope that might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Re Veneered angled view.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	274429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished set.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	274430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished bowl_edited-1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	274431  
Old 5th Mar 2023, 8:15 pm   #3
1100 man
Octode

Hi David,
I knew you would be along to scatter some pearls of wisdom in my direction! Thank you for your in depth reply!

I think the dash was done by brush application, but I would expect to do a TV cabinet by spraying. I was impressed by the surface hardness of the Melamine lacquer and also the shine. It seemed more than hard enough to be able to flat down with fine wet & dry and polish with rubbing compound - do you know if that is the case?

How hard does the Upol lacquer end up? Could this also be flatted & polished?

One thing I couldn't find was how many coats of Melamine were needed and how long to leave it between coats? As I mentioned, I think the cracking was caused by too many coats applied too quickly, but that's only a guess.

We experimented some years ago spraying a cabinet with 2 pack lacquer. The end result was excellent, but required way too many coats to bury surface imperfections and pits in the wood. Our research suggested that Polyester lacquer was originally used on cabinets & car dashboards and would still seem to be used by the professional woodwork guys. Unfortunately, we could only source it in 25 litre drums at a vast cost, so we gave up on that idea!

Your Iroko bowl is gorgeous!!
Many thanks
Cheers
Nick
Old 6th Mar 2023, 12:23 pm   #4
Cathovisor
Banned

Rustins Plastic Coating (a two-pack) comes in much smaller quantities. That can be sprayed to a high gloss if you wish and is brushable too. I had a long chat with Ronnie Rustin himself about it when I had a technical query about colouring it.

Regrettably, I never took him up on his offer of both a tour of the factory or showing off examples of the sets I'd restored using his products.
Old 6th Mar 2023, 11:33 pm   #5
Andrewausfa
Octode

If I recall Bill - maninashed - shared a valve radio restoration on here a few years ago where the case had been restored using Melamine lacquer. I thought it looked amazing.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...08&postcount=7

Andrew

Last edited by Andrewausfa; 6th Mar 2023 at 11:40 pm.
Closed Thread