UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2010, 11:04 am   #41
bluepilot
Heptode

Default Re: alternative to floppies for DOS-based machine

I may be missing something obvious, but can't you just install a floppy drive on the "modern" PC? Although they tend not to have them as standard, there's usually a socket for them on the main board and an option to activate them in the BIOS. I would have thought that whatever device you use to emulate a floppy, it will still be limited to 360k or whatever by the DOS BIOS so you might just as well stick to real floppies.
Old 11th Aug 2010, 11:51 am   #42
Nick_B333
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
I may be missing something obvious, but can't you just install a floppy drive on the "modern" PC?
These days it's as simple as plugging in a USB floppy drive
Old 11th Aug 2010, 12:13 pm   #43
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_G4IRX View Post
These days it's as simple as plugging in a USB floppy drive
If you read the original post and subsequent replies you will see that isn't an option. Especially on an old system that doesn't have a USB port. Or a system that may have a port but running an old OS that doesn't support USB.

This applies to the OP's problem. Also, for example, to dedicated instruments such as my HP4195A network analyser that have a floppy drive but predate USB.
Old 11th Aug 2010, 5:46 pm   #44
McMurdo
Dekatron

The other point I am making is that floppies arent robust enough in the swarf-filled oily atmosphere of a machine shop. And neither are the drives!

I had to go that machine again yesterday, for some reason the machine interface card (a full-size ISA card) had lost all its internal cmos ram settings.
Old 9th Nov 2010, 11:24 pm   #45
Baggrus
Pentode

I think the time is approaching (more like long passed) where this machine is becoming a liability. It's probably going to be cheaper in the long run to upgrade the whole system. I was forced to take this route last year with a very ancient 286 based process control setup. Luckily Pentuim2 series machines are a dime a dozen and still have isa slots for for all the actuator and sensor hardware interface cards. Luckily inside the box it was a stock lump of vintage hardware or what could have been a very expensive complete retooling job turned out to be an easy and cheap motherboard and software swap.. A simple matter to ghost the original (dos 4) operating system on to the hdd and then set up dual boot with something supporting usb .. I used puppy linux, but anything that supports usb and various file systems will do.

I'm still trying to get my head round the actual layout of this hardware to come up with a solution. The catch22 is obvious.. floppies are hopeless in the workplace environment, but the hardware/software combination has no alternative option. I have never seen an ISA-usb card... not in 30 years messing with computers.

The nearest device which appears to fit the problem is http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_...Floppyemulator

Any good for this job?

I think this one needs sneaking up on from both sides

Any chance of full system specs?
Closed Thread