UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2009, 12:04 pm   #21
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: EKCO AD65 Disaster !

Doesn't the smell of coffee linger afterwards?
Old 27th Jul 2009, 12:21 pm   #22
Panrock
Nonode

Not if it's rinsed. But this is now going OT (my fault).
Old 28th Jul 2009, 7:08 pm   #23
JimMac53
Hexode

Fix it, then give it back to the original owner. It'll do wonders for your karma.
Old 1st Aug 2009, 4:58 pm   #24
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi
Well I have made a start! I got some two pack super glue and some repair putty from Halfords today. I started by cleaning the edges to be glued, (there was some residue of old glue from my friends failed attempt ) I then glued the bits together. The glue worked well and I soon had a fairly stable cabinet.
I used the putty on the inside to add some extra strength and to fill the cracks.
There is a bit more missing than I realised! A large chunk of the right hand "foot" is missing. My friend who owned the set is on holiday at the moment so I will see if he can find the missing bit(s) on his return, I don't hold out much hope though as all the bits were in a box so I would guess it's long gone!
If the foot has to be made up I will probably make a card a template to fit inside the cabinet and then make the missing part up out of car body filler.
At least the bit is at the bottom
Then its a case of making good the cracks and disguising the repairs as best I can!
I have a coloured wax stick intended for scratched wood, I have found it dyes the putty filler quite well so I may try filling the cracks with that and then sanding with 1200 grit and polishing. If it dosn't work I can always revert to painting it .
While I wait for my friend to return from sunny Bournemouth I'll power the chassis up and see what problems lie in wait! first I need to find a valve to replace the missing one.

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP08478.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	27630   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP08479.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	27631   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP08481.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	27632   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP08485.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	27633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP08489.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	27634  

Old 1st Aug 2009, 5:33 pm   #25
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

That's coming along nicely Rich.
Old 1st Aug 2009, 6:07 pm   #26
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I think you're approaching this in exactly the right way, and having paid nothing for this set, you can only enhance its value! No pressure then, and an ideal situation where you'll end up with (hopefully) a working classic at next to nil cost, other than your time, and some really useful restoration skills and confidence for when another really valuable set ends up on your bench. Full marks for tackling it!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 1st Aug 2009, 6:48 pm   #27
Top Cap
Octode

Hi Rich, I wish to echo the sentiments of Phil. You have made the right decision and making a great start.
All the best with this one, it is a nice feeling when you get to the final polish.
Les
Old 1st Aug 2009, 7:36 pm   #28
PJL
Dekatron

Modellers enamel paint can be mixed easily and if you have the patience you can reproduce the mottling. Somewhere on the web there is an example but I have done it myself with reasonable success on a small chip on an 834A.
Old 1st Aug 2009, 7:49 pm   #29
slidertogrid
Octode

Thanks all !
It looks pretty dreadful at the moment but at least it is starting to look like a AD65. I intend to be patient with it and do the best job I can !
My next question concernes the missing valve but as this thread is now in the cabinet section I will post a request in the approprate section of the forum.

Rich.
Old 1st Aug 2009, 9:19 pm   #30
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi,
thats coming along nicely!
I'm doing something similar at the moment, what I'm doing for filling missing bits is getting some old bakelite, preferably from the cabinet, or if not then an identical colour, grinding it into a fine powder, then I have a fiberglass kit (fastglass, from halfords) and using the resin from that I add a little of the bakelite powder, mix it up until its dark enough, then add the hardener, mix that up and then dribble it into the missing area's (bad cracks and surface chips) wait for it to set then sand it flat and polish it as normal. so far my results on a black cabinet have been pretty good! hope this is of some use, and good luck with the set, nice to see its going to survive rather than end up as spare parts

regards,
lloyd.
Old 1st Aug 2009, 10:15 pm   #31
Electricdreams
Hexode

Wow it's coming together really well. Such a beautiful set!
Old 1st Aug 2009, 10:46 pm   #32
mark pirate
Dekatron

I am glad you have decided to tackle this set, it is coming along nicely
Lets hope your friend has the missing foot!

Mark
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 9:25 am   #33
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
...what I'm doing for filling missing bits is getting some old bakelite, grinding it into a fine powder...
It's worth reminding everyone that asbestos was allegedly used as a filler in Bakelite, and fibres could be released by grinding it up. It would be safer to use powder paints as a colourant, rather than ground-up Bakelite.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 11:14 am   #34
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
It's worth reminding everyone that asbestos was allegedly used as a filler in Bakelite,
I thought it was sawdust
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 12:12 pm   #35
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

hmm, thats nice to know!! I shall be more carefull then I was actually using some fairly new bakelite, it was a soldering iron stand, untill it got dropped!! only about 10 years old, if that, so I would have thought the use of asbestos would have been banned by then..

regards,
Lloyd.
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 2:52 pm   #36
Aerodyne
Octode

I believe - only believe, from what I've read in the past - a number of different fillers were used for Bakelite, including wood flour, talcum powder and - yes - asbestos. Exactly what Ekco used is a mystery we may never now unravel, so I think it best not to grind up Bakelite (from any set, Ekco or otherwise) but instead either use, as suggested, powdered colourants or alternatively touch-in with surface applied colourings after the filling work.
Its coming along. Keep us informed on progress!
-Tony
Old 4th Aug 2009, 8:37 am   #37
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I have heard this too . Asbestos and other fillers may be used . I had to drill some bakalite once and the stink was horrible . Caution is needed if you are going to grind it,face masc perhaps
Old 4th Aug 2009, 10:40 am   #38
slidertogrid
Octode

Thanks for the warnings!
I only roughed up the edges of the breaks to give the glue a surface to bond to and to remove old traces of previous glue, the dust was negligable and I did it outside so hopefully I'll live!
The Bakelite is suprisingly thick and quite "grainy" you can see different colour specks in the edges, some of which are white/grey so its anyones guess what was used !
Most of the bits have glued together well and the cracks are reasonably tight, but one on the side is a bit wide so I will experiment with various ways of dying the filler before I fill the cracks. I want to reduce the need to paint the cabinet to a minumum, I am hoping to be able to just dust over the repaired areas with an aerosol, as most of the damage is at the bottom I am hoping to leave the original bakelite finish for the top.
I will have to see what it looks like, luckily the cabinet is fairly dark and the mottled pattern not that visible so I might get away with it.
I am waiting to see if the foot turns up before I go any further!

Rich.

Last edited by slidertogrid; 4th Aug 2009 at 10:43 am. Reason: Grammer!
Old 4th Aug 2009, 11:55 am   #39
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Rich. If you want to colour match the bakelite, I am told that Ox blood was used for the pigment.
Old 7th Aug 2009, 9:16 pm   #40
slidertogrid
Octode

Oh well! No sign of the missing foot despite an extensive search of the loft
So I had to think of a way to replicate the missing part.
My first thought was to take a plaster mould of the inside of the other foot and then turn the casting around, fit it inside the cabinet fill to it, then remove the cast leaving a foot made of car body filler. My concerns were that I might not be able to get the plaster out after filling to it and if the repair would be strong enough without some form of re-enforcement.
After a rummage through the junkbox I found some mesh which had been the shield for a large resistor it was quite soft and easy to bend into the required shape.
I fitted it inside the cabinet after roughing up the bakelite on the overlap and bonded it into place using a two pack repair putty. I left it overnight to harden and then checked that it had bonded securely.
I then applied body filler to the outside to the rough shape of the foot. I then shaped the filler using a craft knife and a file and refilled it to the correct shape. after lots of rubbing down, refilling and rubbing down again it is nearly ready for painting.
I have decided not to dye the filler as it effected the strength of the filler and some attempts would not harden properly, I will dust the repairs over with a aerosol and polish, hopefully it will look O.K.
I have had enough cabinet repairs for now though.... the valve I need has arrived so the next job is to get the chassis working!
What do we think ? will it pass!!
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP08497.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	27782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP08499.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	27783   Click image for larger version