UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2018, 6:58 pm   #1
adamant
Retired Dormant Member

Default TMK Model 700B Multimeter Calibration

I recently acquired a TMK Model 700B analogue multimeter in good condition, first impressions are it seems like a decent meter. Resistance readings are spot on, however for AC and DC readings it is reading way off, especially on the AC. The readings are all consistent, but I cleaned the switches anyway. I have inspected the inside but can't see any obvious defects. I was wondering if anyone has the user manual, a schematic, or the calibration procedure for this meter, (there are 2 adjustable pots inside) since mine came with no paperwork. There are some copies of the model 700 schematic and user manual floating around, but I couldn't find anything for the 700B version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adam
Old 25th Jan 2018, 5:03 pm   #2
orbanp1
Heptode

Default Re: TMK Model 700B Multimeter Calibration

Hi Adam,

RM has a page on the TMK-700 with the schematics that you can download:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/tmk_an...meter_700.html

It is probably the same as the B version, the B version with some improvements.
The 700 has a DC sensitivity of 20kOhm/V DC, and 4kOhm/V AC.
If your instrument is marked the same then the meter movement has the same sensitivity (50uA), the resistors would have the same values as in the schematics there.
If your meter has a different sensitivity (it is usually marked at the bottom of the scale, or at the back of the meter) then the resistor values would be different, but the circuit probably still the same.

The schematics shows a pot marked "AC CAL", probably that is where you would calibrate the AC scale.
There are two other pots in the schematics, but they do not say what are they for (probably for Ohm zero, and Ohm infinity).

There is usually no user calibration in the DC mode for analogue multimeters, the manufacturers calibrate the meter movement for nominal current and resistance, and the dropping and shunt resistors in the DC mode are sized to that sensitivity and should give accurate readings without any additional user calibration.
You can verify the accuracy of the meter movement in the 25mV 50uA setting, if I see that correctly from the grainy schematics.

I would suggest you follow the schematics in the various modes, and verify the functions of the other pots as well.

Good luck, Peter
Old 29th Jan 2018, 11:47 am   #3
karesz*
Heptode

Default Re: TMK Model 700B Multimeter Calibration

Hi All,
I see only difference by TMK700B on "AC 60.000Ohm/V" instead 20KOhm/V as TMK700..
rgds, Karl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMK 700B.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	156373   Click image for larger version

Name:	TMK700-B.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	156374  
Closed Thread