UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2016, 9:57 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Filament "spring" in D series battery valves.

I have just been reading one of the excellent Radio Constructor articles by "Dick and Smithy" on the americanradiohistory.com website and they mention that you can visually check for a broken filament in, say, a DK96 valve by simply looking at the position of the filament tensioning spring at the top. It should be level if the filament is ok, and takes on an upward angle if the filament is broken and tension is lost. I haven't actually proved this as I don't have one to hand right now, but I would have thought that the gettering deposits would make this difficult to see. I will dig out my stock tomorrow to check. Any thoughts on this?
Alan.
Old 5th Mar 2016, 10:08 pm   #2
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Filament "spring" in D series battery valves.

I have seen this as well.
The spring at the top should be approximately parallel with the top mica but will spring up if the filament snaps (I know this after I wound the filament voltage up on a battery valve radio trying to get it to work when I was a kid causing most of the valves to go with a ping!!) This should also be the case with battery octal valves if the top of the valve is clear.

Christopher Capener
Old 5th Mar 2016, 11:56 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Filament "spring" in D series battery valves.

I can usually see the spring.

It's to keep the filament in tension, straight, so it is the correct dustance from the grid wires. Obviously, length changes from cold to hot, due to thermal expansion, so some means for allowing for this has to be provided. Hence the spring!
Old 6th Mar 2016, 12:38 am   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Filament "spring" in D series battery valves.

You often find the spring or bits of it floating about inside the valve, so if its not there the filament has gone.

Peter
Closed Thread