UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2016, 11:38 pm   #1
davew
Tetrode

Default LED Sound to light unit

I've just bought a simple Velleman Sound to light unit kit (MK103)
It works pretty well - A BC557B output transistor drives 4 X LEDs in series with a 47R resistor.
My question is: can I add further LEDs (maybe around 6) to this array?
I'm not sure how to work out the series resistance needed or whether 2 paralleled arrays would be better.
Also, I assume it depends how much current the BC557 can pass.
The LEDs I have are a general purpose pack from Maplin
Grateful for any advice (or how I can work out any resistance values required)
Thanks
Dave
Old 12th Mar 2016, 7:42 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: LED Sound to light unit

A typical LED consumes around 20mA. One way to find an unknown LED's safe operating current is to wire one up with a pot in series to a suitable PSU.

That said you may not need one at all. not sure though if a BC557B could drive 10 LED's, though you could use another in a Darlington pair to provide the extra current.

Looking at the BC557 datasheet collector current is given as 100mA, so you'd be struggling to provide I for 10 LED's. If it's configured as a CCS you might need to change an emitter resistor so you could use one module for 5 LED's

To work out resistor value's, ohms law is your friend here if you know your voltage and current. Let's say your PSU voltage is 10v and you want to power 10 LED's, 10 x 20mA = 200mA, so 10 divided by 0.200 = 50 or nearest value 47r.

Not familiar with the module in question, but if each LED has a transistor "driver" your ok, if not you'll struggle as I said. Best way is to try it, if it goes bang you can replace a component and you'll have learnt something, if it works, even better.

Andy.
Old 12th Mar 2016, 7:53 am   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Why not add one LED at a time?
When the transistor starts to get warm, you'll know you're approaching the limit.
Old 12th Mar 2016, 11:46 am   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I've had a look at the circuit and all the LED's are in a series string.

Without doing the actual maths, looking at the circuit, I reckon they are drawing ~15mA. So you can add another parallel string of 4 LED's and 47R resistor to increase the number of LED's.

Total draw through the BC557 would be ~30mA, well within it's ratings.

Terry VK5TM
Old 14th Mar 2016, 8:04 pm   #5
davew
Tetrode

Thanks for the replies - I'll do some experimenting!
Old 14th Mar 2016, 9:07 pm   #6
trickie_dickie
Hexode

Why not put the extra LEDs in series with the existing four. That way, the current remains the same. You may need a higher voltage to power the LEDs. Can you post a circuit of the output?
Old 14th Mar 2016, 10:06 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

You can download the instructions (including the circuit diagram) from one of the dealers on this page :

https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/...d-to-light-kit

I wonder if you could make a second copy of the last stage (R5, R9, R12, Q4 and the LEDs) and wire it to the battery +ve and -ve terminals and to the collector of Q3 in the obvious way.
Closed Thread