UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2016, 9:32 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Low gain audio stage

I want a single-transistor stage that would give a gain of 2-4 times, working from 9 volts.
It is as a pre-amplification stage in order to get a total gain of 100 or 200 from a TDA2822.
I bought a TDA2822 circuit and I know the data-sheet gives the gain as 50 only, which is not enough. The intent being to substitute the TDA2822 circuit in a role where a LM386 is utilised.
Old 8th Mar 2016, 9:44 pm   #2

Default Re: Low gain audio stage

How about feeding a weeny bit of the output back into the input? OK it might go unstable but worth a try. Or it's the classic common emitter circuit with the emitter resistor 1/2 to 1/4 of the collector one, plus bias of course. See attached quick idea...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	121271  

Old 8th Mar 2016, 9:46 pm   #3

Done in 'fuzzy cad'!

Old 8th Mar 2016, 9:52 pm   #4
mhennessy
Dekatron

To save having to draw it myself, take a look at the first schematic here: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/...ier/amp_8.html

Try making R1 47k, R2 10k, RE 1k and RL 4k7

Don't fit C2

C1 could be 1uF or thereabouts, and you'll probably need a capacitor at the output - the value depends on what follows it, and how low in frequency you need to go...

In theory, the gain of the circuit is RL divided by RE, which will be 4.7 here. You could decrease RL to 3k9 or similar as needed.

I would consider decoupling the power supply rail - perhaps put 100 ohms between the amp and the supply, and put 100uF or similar between the top of RL (and R1) and ground.

Input impedance - if it matters - will be about 8k.

This circuit won't be the best in the world, but it'll do (and will be a useful learning experience). Built it up, and check the DC voltage at the collector - hopefully it'll be somewhere near to 4.5V. If so, the audio signal should go through with no problems.

Good luck,

Mark
Closed Thread