UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2019, 6:50 pm   #1
Julesomega
Hexode

Default Terrible feeling of déjà vu

For weeks now, or maybe months (I don't remember much these days) I keep seeing new posts and entire threads which I am convinced I've already seen. Typically I look at 'new posts' or a particular forum section, and see a thread which is shown as having been started 'today' but already has had many replies, including specific wording, typos or images which I am convinced I've seen before, maybe even last week.

Maybe it's just me losing the last few marbles, but there have also been odd notifications happening on another forum run by a friend and myself, and my friend tells me that the PHP on our server is out of date and needs an update which he intends to do asap.

I know that Paul has been announcing updates so maybe something has been affecting time reporting here, but if no-one else has been feeling their memory is being challenged I shall have to conclude that it is just me

It's good here
Old 21st Mar 2019, 7:27 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Terrible feeling of déjà vu

Every forum post is date and time stamped.

Can you give examples of the threads you're referring to please.

Today spans a 24 hour period so it's not surprising that threads started today may have several replies.

It's possible you may be looking at merged threads where two or more threads with the same subject have been merged.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 7:42 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I also haven't noticed anything amiss. This is a busy forum and new threads usually attract quick responses. People often don't read threads properly before posting so you do get some duplication. As Graham says, if you notice anything wrong then report it and we will investigate.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 12:14 am   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Heptode

I've noticed this on a different forum but not here.

Could be my marbles are taking a holiday as well
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 12:28 am   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

I have noticed that the read/unread flags are a bit variable on merged threads.
Perhaps that is what has been spotted.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 5:59 am   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I think what you are finding are new posts in old threads which pop up in "New Posts" because it is what they are!
I get confused all the time..............................
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 8:47 am   #7
Electronpusher0
Hexode

The only quirk I have noticed is that if I start a new thread replies to it do not show up as new posts (for me) I have now got used to having to go to the thread to check for replies.

Peter
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 11:12 am   #8
Julesomega
Hexode

I'm now finding it hard to choose an example but I'll post when I next see something. I know that the same questions are asked weekly, even daily, and I don't doubt that members often copy and paste their previous reply, but sometimes the entire thread seems to be familiar in its entirety.

The reason I started to doubt it was 'just me' was when I realised that in company with regular friends, the same conversations are repeated, almost verbatim, from one meeting to the next. I've withdrawn under pretext of health issues, from a group of old drinking friends who meet every week to have the same discussion and relive the same old memories. The car journey to another periodic meeting has now become a repetition of identical observations, despite the driver being in the summer of her life.

It's good here
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 12:51 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I wonder whether it's your cookies that you're losing rather than your marbles! I believe that's the method by which the forum keeps track of what you've read.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 1:10 pm   #10
Refugee
Dekatron

I agree.
There is something in the cookie settings that appears to set cookies to unread when a thread is merged sometimes.
Old 24th Mar 2019, 11:12 am   #11
Julesomega
Hexode

Thanks all for taking my question seriously, it seems my fears are confirmed. My experiences of deja vu are constantly repeated when listening to the radio as BBC seem to repeat items within programmes, and complete programmes, to an alarming degree. The other week I was listening to a favourite series when I became convinced that I'd heard this one just a few weeks before, so I looked through the Radio 3 schedules and had looked at a couple of months when the programme ended and the announcer said "That programme was first broadcast in 2014"
So, it's not always 'just me'

It's good here
Old 24th Mar 2019, 1:50 pm   #12
mark_in_manc
Octode

I had something like that lately when I wanted to send a photo (via email) to a friend, that another friend had emailed to me 'a couple of months back' - or so I thought. I couldn't find it, and eventually contacted friend_2 who re-sent with the comment that they last sent it in September...2017.

I'm starting to get in first with 'I have a terrible memory' when talking to folks, so a) if they tell me things and I forget, they've been warned and b) if I start to
bore them with a re-cycled anecdote, they can head me off without having to listen (again) politely

(If you have deja-vu over this post of mine, let's say it's me and I posted this info recently but have forgotten!!)
Old 24th Mar 2019, 5:52 pm   #13
ionburn
Hexode

I have been experiencing this for years. It's not in relation to this forum as such. I found years ago, when buying magazines, that after a period of time articles seemed to repeat (the latest update on doing something etc). Periodicals like classic bike mags seemed the worst! A tidy restore of a common vintage Brit iron yet again, or how the Honda 750 four is the Jap classic above all others! Perhaps it's that the majority of the audience have similar questions and it's useful to repeat things in a very similar manner. I find it heavy going at times to wade around the net to find different slants on common circuitry questions through minor variations on exactly the same answer.
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:17 pm   #14
Station X

I get a terrible feeling of déjà vu every time I approve the first post from a new member in the record player section.

It's time to close this thread now. That gives me a feeling of déjà vu too. I'm sure I closed a thread a few months ago...

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Closed Thread