UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2019, 12:37 am   #1
Laurdys
Pentode

Default Attachment in Private Message

Is it possible to send an attachment in a private message, If so how do I do it? Since me and another forum member are trying to reconstruct an incomplete schematic.

Last edited by Laurdys; 17th Jun 2019 at 12:40 am. Reason: typo
Old 17th Jun 2019, 6:58 am   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Attachment in Private Message

I would also be curious to know, when another forum member and I needed to swap schematics we had to exchange email addresses.
Peter
Old 17th Jun 2019, 7:28 am   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

No, unfortunately, attachemnts are not possible with the forum's private message facility. If you wish to share attachments privately, it needs to be done by direct email (as opposed to PM or email via the forum). As Peter says, you need first to communicate email addresses.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 9:09 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

I think the intent is to reserve the forum's storage capacity for images open to viewing by all. Also there is the possibility that such a facility could be exploited for distributing illegal images out of sight. A risk that no site moderator or owner would wish to leave themselves open to.

Swapping emails isn't a terrible hardship, and anything attached in the open area contributes to the general worth of the forum.

David
Old 17th Jun 2019, 9:12 am   #5
paulsherwin

It's a limitation of the forum software and we can't do anything about it even if we wanted to. Sorry.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 10:55 am   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

In the long run, posting incomplete circuit diagrams & schematics in an open thread, would benefit the Forum community. Especially if they are eventually solved. As the other David says.
Folk have helped me in the past, as I have helped others. In general, many vintage diagrams have travelled backwards & forwards over the internet, being pdf'd or jpeg'd over & over, therefore sometimes becoming jolly unreadable. Many diagrams, which were in fold-out format in the original manuals, now are passed around in A4 sections as attachments. My advice is to carefully Sellotape them back together, then pop along to somewhere that can give you a couple of A3 scanned copies, correct them &/or modify them, then go back to the A3 scanner/printer & reduce them back to A4 for passing on.
Many Forum folk are also BVWS &/or VMARS members. Thus most membership lists display email contact details, enabling contact if folk wish to sign off their thread posts with their real name. If, on a rare occasion, someone becomes obnoxious, use the email provider's blocking facility.

Regards, David
Old 18th Jun 2019, 10:31 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

David (Radio Wrangler) is absolutely correct, and as Paul says the software doesn't allow it even if we wanted to (which we don't).

If you don't want to swap email addresses you can always use something like Dropbox or Google Drive and send the link by PM. However we would encourage discussions to be on the forum for everyone's benefit if possible.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th Jun 2019, 11:49 pm   #8
JohnBG8JMB
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
My advice is to carefully Sellotape them back together, then pop along to somewhere that can give you a couple of A3 scanned copies, correct them &/or modify them, then go back to the A3 scanner/printer & reduce them back to A4 for passing on.

Regards, David
Do NOT use sellotape. It goes yellow and brittle and permanently discolours what it's stuck to. To rejoin sheets of paper use 'magic' tape stuck to the back- I think it's polyester based, stays cleat and flexible. I keep a roll specfically for repairing paper maps.

regards
John
Old 20th Jun 2019, 10:41 am   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

As John says, do not use Sellotape as a long term or permanent page joining solution. I just use it for joining up printed off copies of A4 prior to blowing up to A3. Sometimes these A3 copies display a feint outline of the Sellotape, but this can be tipex'd out.
Damaged pages from Manuals from yesteryear are a different matter. Some original Manuals are almost as valuable as the items themselves.
Thankfully, a number of Forum folk have carefully held on to them & occasionally kindly provide page copies for displaying in posts or sending to folk as email attachments.
BAMA has a massive free online archive. As does VMARS.

Regards, David
Old 21st Jul 2019, 10:19 pm   #10
Oldcodger
Nonode

There is a Sellotape designed for this purpose, i.e. joining docs together pre photo copy. I've used it and it does not reflect copy light back which is the source of line problems .
Old 21st Jul 2019, 10:58 pm   #11
paulsherwin

Scotch Magic Tape is much better for this sort of job. It's relatively expensive, but lasts a long time if used sparingly.
Closed Thread