UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2017, 5:30 pm   #1
klintypooh
Retired Dormant Member

Unhappy Amstrad CPC 464+ problem.

Hi all, I've got a 464+ without the monitor so I bought a scart cable and a PSU. It was working about a year ago but since then I've moved house, had it in storage etc. Finally got around to setting my retro games room up and when I tried the Amstrad it appears to have given up! The green light will come on when it's plugged in but it won't show a picture at all on the TV. I tried more than one TV and bought a new scart too but no picture at all. Any ideas?
Old 20th Sep 2017, 6:11 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Amstrad CPC 464+ problem.

If any ICs are in sockets, make sure they are seated properly.
Old 20th Sep 2017, 7:50 pm   #3
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Is the green light on the PSU or the computer? only ask because every Amstrad I've had has had a red LED. if it's on the PSU is the LED on the computer lighting when you switch the switch on the side of the Amstrad? Will the tape player work? It should FF RWD but not play unless you type a command.
Old 16th Oct 2017, 11:28 pm   #4
klintypooh
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Julie, not entirely sure what an IC is so I can't check that!

Jay the green LED is on the Amstrad itself. The tape deck rewinds and fast forwards when pressed, I've tried pressing DEL when it's powered on and there's no beep that I've read there should be.

When turned on the TV shows small signs of something being connected (it gives slight wavy lines) but nothing other than that.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 12:13 pm   #5
PsychMan
Octode

IC = Integrated Circuit, or chip.

Check the chips are seated correctly in their sockets.
Old 19th Oct 2017, 6:05 pm   #6
klintypooh
Retired Dormant Member

I've now checked that all of the ICs are properly seated as best I can and nothing has changed, is it worth finding somewhere that can try and repair it or should I just sell it for parts and buy another?
Old 21st Oct 2017, 1:07 pm   #7
jay_oldstuff
Octode

If you dont mind posting it over to the mainland, I would be happy to repair it for you.