UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2017, 8:49 am   #1
Bighamnegg
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekco 9 Octave record player problems

Hi there, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I recently purchased this lovely Ekco 9 Octave record player. It wasn't working at all when I got it. I have managed to get it spinning and it now plays records. It plays okay at first, but after a few songs once it heats up there is a horrible crackly static sound on louder parts of the record. I have no idea of the turntable model other than it is a Garrard, I will attach a picture. Sorry if I have not provided enough info as I am entirely new to this. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2463.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	147487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2481.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	147488  
Old 7th Aug 2017, 9:52 am   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco9octave record player problems

You have a nice record player, must be 50 years since I last saw one.

The amplifier will probably require some capacitors replacing or at least checking, if you don't it could cause damage to expensive or difficult/impossible to source parts.

If you have only done a minimum to the deck to get it spinning it will probably require more work.

Check the stickies out at the top,of this forum for more information.

Frank
Old 7th Aug 2017, 10:17 am   #3
Bighamnegg
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for your reply . Yes the deck still needs some work . The autochanger isn't yet operational . I have stripped the amp down and cleaned all contacts to the valves etc and the switches . It sounds better than it did but as soon as it heats up the sound distorts again . I have no experience in electronics but I'm going to get a multimeter this afternoon and give it a go . Thanks again
Old 7th Aug 2017, 10:36 am   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The immediate problem will probably be the grid coupling capacitors to the output valve/s being leaky but as Frank says don't run it like that as you could damage the valves at least.

Peter
Old 7th Aug 2017, 10:47 am   #5
Bighamnegg
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks peter . I'm a total novice so I will just get the multimeter check everything and take it from there . No doubt posting another 100 queries on here . Thanks again
Old 7th Aug 2017, 11:37 am   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Have a look at the info at this URL, lots of useful info on repairs and safety .
https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ion/index.html

Frank
Old 7th Aug 2017, 11:47 am   #7
Bighamnegg
Retired Dormant Member

Much appreciated frank I will check it out in depth after work . Many thanks
Old 7th Aug 2017, 12:44 pm   #8
music-centre
Heptode

Looks a really good quality player, I cant remember seeing one of these before.
Those 2 transit screws on the deck need to be screwed down so it floats,if you haven't done so since taking the picture.
Steve.
Old 7th Aug 2017, 1:04 pm   #9
Bighamnegg
Retired Dormant Member

Yes it's very nice and was very cheap so I had to have it . I hope I can get it back to its best . Thanks peter
Regards Greig
Old 7th Aug 2017, 2:37 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Looking at your second photo, as well as the transit screws being screwed down (which can cause feedback) you have not got the overarm on the autochanger set correctly and, unless you have a double LP stylus, you are playing that A&M stereo LP on the 78 stylus! This is a great sounding mono record player with around 6-8 watts output.
Old 7th Aug 2017, 2:38 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco 9 Octave record player problems

Manufacturers service data is available here: http://www.service-data.com/product....93/2142/m11493
Old 7th Aug 2017, 2:52 pm   #12
Bighamnegg
Retired Dormant Member

Edward thank you for your input . As soon as I get home today I sill sort out the transit screws and give it a try with the auto changer arm in the correct position . It did have a double stylus on when I took that picture but I clumsily broke it . I am currently using one from another radiogram till a replacement arrives by post . Thanks
Regards Greig
Old 7th Aug 2017, 2:53 pm   #13
Bighamnegg
Retired Dormant Member

Bill thank you very much I will be sure to have a good read over this before I attempt any repairs
Regards Greig
Old 7th Aug 2017, 7:54 pm   #14
Bighamnegg
Retired Dormant Member

Update.
I sorted the transit screws and fired it up again . Played fine at first then a few songs in the interference started up again . Looks like I'm going to have open it up again and take the plunge . Thanks to all who contributed with information . Much appreciated
Old 7th Aug 2017, 8:21 pm   #15
PJL
Dekatron

Don't use it until you have replaced the capacitors. You will damage the valves/output transformer/mains transformer as well as it posing a fire risk.

It is a push-pull EL84 ultra-linear amplifier and should sound good and go pretty loud.
Old 7th Aug 2017, 8:46 pm   #16
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, I will reinforce the previous posters warning. DO NOT power the amplifier again UNTIL you have sorted the capacitors.
Damaged valves are the least of your worries, a rewind of a complex output transformer is very expensive. These and the mains transformers are now unobtainium.

Ed
Old 7th Aug 2017, 9:25 pm   #17
Bighamnegg
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for the advice . I will leave it unpowered until I've had a chance to attempt capacitor replacements . I'll study the stickies get the parts and hopefully have a nice sounding vintage player some time soon . Thanks guys
Regards Greig
Old 7th Aug 2017, 11:49 pm   #18
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

That looks like a more modern version of the Ekco 9 I have, with it's matching stereo unit [very rare but I have seen them turn up]. Does your player have slatted vents on the underside which must be opened to enjoy the full sound quality?

Dave W
Old 8th Aug 2017, 8:10 am   #19
Bighamnegg
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dave w . It has a kind of wire cage construction on the bottom with one piece of wood attached and a sticker saying something about the acoustic chamber . It has a switch on the side which says stereo then gram and the last is an aux of sorts I think . But gram is the only one producing any sound at the moment . But it's a great looking piece . I hope I can get it back to its best .
Regards Greig
Old 8th Aug 2017, 10:40 am   #20
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Ok sounds like the same thing as mine with provision for connecting another unit [for stereo] only a much more modern cabinet. I tried mine out initially without the legs but it was only when I put them on and opened the under side vents that I got a much clearer sound. It does seem that you have something problematic at the cartridge or amp end though.
Dave

PS. The thread by VSilva5 [18/1/14] Ekco 9 Octave [Garrard RC.120 MK11 Amp Repair] has photos real my earlier model and the slots underneath, to effectively tune or de-tune the cabinet I think!
There were photos on another thread from 2008 [showing mine when I bought it with the stereo cabinet] but I can't find that one.

Last edited by dave walsh; 8th Aug 2017 at 10:53 am.
Closed Thread