UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2008, 4:21 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1963 Marconiphone 4110 Transistor Seven MW/LW portable

Hello again,

Here's an old cheap 'n cheerful transistor set one doesn't see very often. I bought this Marconiphone 4110 at Tonbridge for £3, noone else wanted it as it was still there at 1.00pm. It was filthy dirty and the chrome trim along the top was tarnished but I had a feeling it would come up nice ..... and it did. It didn't work and inside it had 3 x AF117s but the two PCBs and all its labels were just like new so I decided to restore it. It is date stamped 15th July 1963. I obtained the Manufacturer's service sheet (British Radio Corporation Ltd) from Paul Stenning's website.

These sets come apart quite easily, remove two screws on the back, one on the bottom and then the two screws holding on the chrome trim and the entire front, speaker and chassis come out the front with nice long wires still connected to the earphone and aerial sockets on the case. I then cleaned the case with upholstery cleaner and toothbrush and polished the chrome trim with Autosol and it came up mint.

This is an easy set to work on as its two PCBs just lift out of the chassis. The amp was working OK as I could hear its slightly noisy volume pot working, which I then cleaned with some Servisol 10. In an attempt to get it working I then unsoldered all the AF117 screen wires but still nothing but tapping a couple of the transistors resulted in popping noises from the speaker so I knew I was on the right track. So Ron Bryan very kindly fitted three new AF126s and it now works perfectly and no realignment was necessary.

This little radio is absolutely mint, it's very easy to work on but I can't say that it's quality built. But it looks nice, it's very sensitive and sounds jolly good too.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconiphone_4110_front 001.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	15277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconiphone_4110_before.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	15278  

Last edited by howard; 15th Feb 2008 at 4:47 pm. Reason: wrong pics
Old 15th Feb 2008, 5:07 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 1963 Marconi 4110 Transistor Seven MW/LW portablr

Another fine transformation in your expert hands Howard!, I was there when you bought that one, It has come up well, not bad for £3 , Well done!

Regards, Mick.
Old 15th Feb 2008, 5:21 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hello Howard,

The word 'mint' is often heard on the forum and is usually understood to mean, as good as can be expected for the age of the set. But in the case of your little Marconi it really does mean, brand new! That chrome work has come up superb, it looks like a piece of modern trim that has just had its protective clear film peeled off of it!

A first class job as always Howard, well done!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 15th Feb 2008, 6:03 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Thanks Mick, Robert,

I said the tarnish would polish off, Mick, and it did !

It is mint, even the blue rexine on the edges of the set which one would expect to have rubbed off is absolutely perfect ! Maybe an AF117 failed not long after it was originally bought and it just sat in a loft for 40 odd years.

It sounds very good too.

Howard
Old 16th Feb 2008, 2:31 pm   #5
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: 1963 Marconi 4110 Transistor Seven MW/LW portablr

A good find Howard, a very nice looking set, well restored back to working condition like new. It might be an interesting experiment to take off the can of the defective AF117 to see if the transistor works with it removed. I have been meaning to do this with a few I have to see if the transistor is only put out of action by the internal shorts due to the can.

Geof
Old 16th Feb 2008, 3:20 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

Warm one up with the iron and try it! It works for me. Kat Monton discovered this a while back. They develop internal shorts due to the metal of the can growing crystals (really!) and this will melt them away and I think coat the inside of the can to stop them growing again.

Another good one, Howard + Ron.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 16th Feb 2008, 3:36 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Warm one up with the iron and try it! .....Cheers,
Steve P.
Hello,

Actually I did try that with the AF117s in this set but I'm never quite sure how long to leave the iron on the can for .... I did it once before and the can popped off ! Oops !

I if'd and are'd about putting three new AF126s in this set cos they're getting rather expensive now, but I have over 150 x AF12* in stock still and the set is in such good nick that I treated it.

Howard
Old 16th Feb 2008, 7:52 pm   #8
Steve_P
Dekatron

If the can pops off, put it back on and try it!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 16th Feb 2008, 8:04 pm   #9
Tom_I
Heptode

No, if the can pops off, remove all the old silicone grease, clean everything up, and re-pot in new silicone grease. Solder the can back together, and it will probably work. I haven't had a failure yet.

Tom
Old 17th Feb 2008, 4:12 pm   #10
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: 1963 Marconi 4110 Transistor Seven MW/LW portablr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_I View Post
No, if the can pops off, remove all the old silicone grease, clean everything up, and re-pot in new silicone grease. Solder the can back together, and it will probably work. I haven't had a failure yet.

Tom

Or clean it up and put the can back on with Unibond one minute epoxy, this saves it being heated which may damage the junction.

Geof
Closed Thread