UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2008, 9:59 pm   #1
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Post Dynatron HFC 209

Hi all

After watching a BBC four program on Marc Bolan i decided to have a look at this music centre ( Made in 1975 ) so i could play Born to Boogie

The only fault on this was one channel getting red hot quite easily found that one of the BD130 transistors short, Fitted a nice new 2N3055 but the heatsink could still fry an egg the sound was perfect with no buzz or hum but when it was first switched on there was a loud thump from the speaker, with the working channel only making a slight thump. After changing the 3 100UF caps on the amp board it still ran quite warm compared with the working channel.

A good hour passed with me checking all the transistors etc and it still was the same.Then i found it if i knocked the amp board it would make a large thump, all the joints looked perfect but soldering all of them cured the thumping output and now it runs at a more normal temperature

After cleaning all the nicotine off and a quick polish it looks and sounds better than the mordern Panasonic i've been using in the workshop.

Regards

Marcus.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIRTY 1.JPG
Views:	556
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	15129   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIRTY 2.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	15130   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD130.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	15131   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW CAPS.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	15132   Click image for larger version

Name:	FINISHED.JPG
Views:	713
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	15133  

Old 10th Feb 2008, 10:46 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron HFC 209

Not only are these things good, but people do collect them. You have found out why - they are very good!

Makes me wonder why they bothered with CDs....

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 10th Feb 2008, 11:03 pm   #3
JLH-AMP
Retired Dormant Member

That's lovely!
There was a (now long-closed) tv/radio/hi-fi shop in Church Road, Hove, Sussex that used to carry Dynatron, Hacker, etc. I used to go in and oggle this sort of stuff. I think they got fed up with me in the end.
Old 10th Feb 2008, 11:26 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello Marcus,

That's very nice. I remember music centres being popular back in the 1970s, but not the kind of item I'd collect myself but definitely well worth restoring and using again.

Howard
Old 11th Feb 2008, 2:06 pm   #5
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi Marcus.

A nice job there.

I used to have two Garrard SP25 turntables when me and a mate used to do mobile discos back in the day......
Old 12th Feb 2008, 12:10 am   #6
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Dynatron HFC 209

Hi all

Thanks Steve, JLH-AMP, Howard and Tas

Regards

Marcus.........
Closed Thread