UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2007, 1:17 am   #1
Tim
Dekatron

Default Philips LX437AB Mains battery portable..Info wanted please.

Hi All
Got one of these this evening (along with a rather nice HMV 1121-{looks for "smug" icon}) from our local Freecycle (AT LAST!!!!!).
Looks interesting, but have only found some limited info, such as valve line up, year of manufacture etc. I think this was either made in Holland or an export set, as it has MW and two SW with no Long wave.
The controls seem to imply recharging of batteries was possible.
I haven't opened it up yet(case is unfortunately cracked) but would like to have a poke about with it, so a copy of the circuit/service data would be great!!
Paul doesn't seem to have it listed...........................

Thanks
Tim
Old 1st Mar 2007, 2:33 am   #2
batterymaker1
Heptode

Default Re: Philips LX437AB Mains battery portable..Info wanted please.

http://radiotechniek.cjb.net/ doesn't have that exact model, but has some close enough to it.

Last edited by Station X; 1st Mar 2007 at 11:24 am. Reason: Link fixed.
Old 1st Mar 2007, 9:15 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Tim,

Your Philips radio was almost certainly built in Holland ('X' in the model name denotes the Dutch factory) and probably an export MW/SW/SW version of the Philips LX444AB MW/LW/SW mains battery sets built in 1953/54 which had a moulded plastic case and handle (available in 5 colours) and an external frame aerial with it's hinges situated behind the handle. The Dutch sets took 2x 67.5v and 2x 1.5v batteries, the export versions took 2x 45v and 2x 1.5v.
http://www.geocities.com/pieter_deko...ab/lx437ab.htm
Howard.

Last edited by howard; 1st Mar 2007 at 9:38 am.
Old 1st Mar 2007, 10:14 am   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Thanks Guys.
I have a sticker stating " 2x67.5v and 2x 1.5v" in various languages. The English script is third on the label, and the voltage selector only goes to 220 volts,so I guess this is a Dutch one. I am intreagued (?) about the charging business though.
Were there ever 67.5 volt rechargable batteries?? (Do I start a seperate thread on this?)
Thanks
Tim
Old 1st Mar 2007, 12:34 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Hello Tim,

Your Philips set took 2x B101 type 67.5 volt dry batteries and I assume Philips supplied optional rechargeable lead acid accumulators for it too. I can't find anything about the Philips rechargeable batteries on the web, although the use of similar rechargeable batteries was common in the USA at that time. Amazingly, Eveready 45 volt and 67.5 volt dry batteries are still available in the USA.

http://www.hupse.eu/radio/ever_ready_b101.htm

http://www.batterycentralmall.com/Ba.../Eveready.html

Howard.

Last edited by howard; 1st Mar 2007 at 12:57 pm.
Old 1st Mar 2007, 12:58 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

Thanks Howard.
Fortunately my new toy has a mains option, so will make a worthwhile project. Unfortunately it has suffered "Rapid de-celleration trauma" at some time resulting in a large peice cracked out of the case. The piece has been retained by a mounting screw though, so might be glueable. May include photos later, if this wont be off topic(MODS)
Old 18th Oct 2007, 3:00 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Hi all.
In a moment of boredom I decided to have a butchers at this little set. A few crackles but otherwise "all off".
There seems to be no heater supply(except across the DL94 which is full HT!!!!--not surprisingly the DL94 is also no emmission!!) so I think I will need a circuit diagram. Anyone have one knocking around, or was there a British equivalent to this set which might be in the RTV&S books/Trader/Paul's data by E-mail??
I can't see a seperate diode so I think the heater voltage may be derived from the HT.

Speaker and O/P xfmr OK.

Thanks Guys
Tim
Old 20th Oct 2007, 2:43 am   #8
Tim
Dekatron

Now found a circuit, but all in Dutch. The diagram is something at least, but would love some data in English if anyone has it. Thanks
Tim