UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2008, 12:15 am   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1961 Stella ST403T 6 transistor MW/LW portable

Hello again,

I bought this old Stella transistor set recently for £3.99 from the Salvation Army. I couldn't find anything about it and no service sheets exist for it anywhere. It was very dirty, one battery clip broken off, a small tear in the vynair material on the front and all its brass rim was black or rusty.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&d=1204413301

However, it looks very much like my Philips L3G01T, identical chassis, same escutcheon, same sized case and similar dial so I think I can assume that it is a Stella version of the L3G01T. Here's my L3G01T ...

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...1&d=1182778471

I soldered back on the battery clip, attached a PP9 and away it went .... I did later take out the chassis and clean the volume pot and and waveband switches but that's all it needed.

I removed the handle, dial trim and switch escutcheon, stuck down the small torn piece invisibly and gave them all a good clean with my toothbrush and upholstery cleaner and it came up really well. I cut and fit a new piece of sponge on the back cover. The brass trim I stripped, polished and revarnished - the switch escutcheon is painted inside up to the rim so that and the handle support trims I repainted with Plasti Kote antique gold paint. I then reassembled the radio.

It took me all day to restore this Stella but it has come up really well, indeed it's unmarked. It's a nice old Philips wooden cased transistor set, not quite as pretty as the L3G01T but it works well and sounds just as good too.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...8&d=1204413301

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stella_ST403T_finished 001.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	15598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stella_ST403T_inside 001.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	15599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stella_ST403T_before 001.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	15600  

Last edited by howard; 2nd Mar 2008 at 12:21 am.
Old 2nd Mar 2008, 2:36 am   #2
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: 1961 Stella ST403T 6 transistor MW/LW portable

Hello Howard,

That just looks lovely, really nice. You've done a first class job again.

I think, as you say, its definitely safe to assume that it is the Stella badged version of your Philips set there. I know you prefer the Philips model for looks but I think the Stella set is the nicer of the two!

BTW I've noticed on all your restorations that your revarnished brass trims always come up really well. Can I ask what particular sort of varnish you use?

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 2nd Mar 2008, 5:58 pm   #3
Tim
Dekatron

Another great job Howard.
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 9:42 am   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I prefer the stella of the two as well, im sure i saw one on my travels on saturday somewhere
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 11:33 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdmpb View Post
Hello Howard, ........BTW I've noticed on all your restorations that your revarnished brass trims always come up really well. Can I ask what particular sort of varnish you use?
Regards
Hello Robert,

On the handle trims I used Plastikote Antique Gold paint, Rustins metal lacquer and M&P's dark gold varnish. The clip around the PVC handle is nickel plated mild steel with a gold varnish finish which was starting to rust. I managed to polish up the nickel up bright again and then revarnished it with a mix of the Rustins and M&P varnishes. The link is real brass so that I polished and revarnished with the Rustins. The handle securing trim is also mild steel and had a nickel and brass plate or gold varnish coating but had rusted away so I rubbed that down, primed it and repainted it with Plastikote Antique gold paint. The finished trims look more or less as they would have done when the set was built.

This is old cellulose Rustins, I don't think it's available any longer but acrylic Rustins varnish is.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stella_ST403T_handle_before.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	15622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stella_ST403T_handle_after.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	15623   Click image for larger version

Name:	varnishes.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	15625  

Last edited by howard; 3rd Mar 2008 at 11:43 pm.
Old 4th Mar 2008, 5:25 pm   #6
howard
Nonode

Just one last thing about Rustins cellulose varnish, it's touch dry in a couple of minutes and after an hour or so it really won't come off, it adheres really well to shiny metal surfaces. It's so good that when I came to restore the escutcheon which is painted inside, I varnished the entire thing and then sprayed Plasti-Kote on top of it, I was even able to put Tamiya masking tape on top of it around the top without any coming off. Great stuff

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ST403T_top_trim.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	15639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tamiya_masking_tape_trim.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	15640  

Last edited by howard; 4th Mar 2008 at 5:30 pm.
Old 4th Mar 2008, 7:02 pm   #7
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hello Howard,

Thanks for that information, appreciated.

I went a bought some of the M&P dark gold lacquer a while ago now on your recommendation in another thread about TR82 brass trims. But I've yet to try the Rustin's. Sounds like very good stuff though. Will definitely have to give it a try, especially as you get excellent results with it in your restorations!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Closed Thread