UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2006, 5:29 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1962 Bush TR102 - an interesting radio

Hello,

I started this one before Christmas and decided I'd had more than enough television and turkey and finished it off today. I spotted quite a nice one of these on eBay a few weeks back and won it, and then won another scruffy example just in case I needed spares - which I did, but not many. I'd never seen one of these before, and when I read up about it I discovered it had some interesting and unique features, namely

- opening the lid switches it on
- the volume and tuning knobs are on the side and also support the handle
- pushing in the tuning knob lights up the cursor

The first one had a nasty chip on the front bottom corner, two of the push buttons had some burn marks on them and the lettering on the dial was poor along the bottom. The second set was a write-off, rusty inside and filthy dirty outside but it had an undamaged side panel and a better dial Neither radio had been used in many years, the first one barely worked, but the second was totally dead

Despite their complexity, these sets come apart quite easily. Take off the battery cover (two screws), the panel just above it (two screws), inside undo the two screws securing the knobs and pull those off, remove four screws securing the chassis to the front of the case and four screws/washers securing the loudspeaker and the chassis comes out. I also dismantled the case - remove two circlips and the handle comes off, remove the felt washers around the handle pivots and undo the 1/2" nuts underneath and the brass pivots come out and the lid can then be removed. I also took off the damaged side panel, by undoing two self tapping screws and then the dial, by undoing four screws and the two aluminium dial retainers came away.

I cleaned the case thoroughly with upholstery cleaner and polished the outer panels with some bakelite polish, SafeCut and then Mr. Sheen. I removed the burn marks on the push buttons with some wet and dry. I dusted out the chassis, squirted some switch cleaner into the waveband switches and volume pot, attached a battery, operated the internal on/off switch and away it went, perfect, and even the cursor lit up !! Wow I then reassembled the set.

I like this radio which has come up really nice with no chips or cracks and just one or two light scratches on the back It works well too, it's sensitive on both MW and LW and sounds quite good, but I just love the way it switches on and off and the way it's pointer lights up, wonderful It's only problem is that it's so unstable on its feet that one sneeze and it falls over ...........

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BushTR102before 001.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	7414   Click image for larger version

Name:	BushTR102inside 001.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	7415   Click image for larger version

Name:	BushTR102lighton 001.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	7416  

Last edited by howard; 26th Dec 2006 at 5:53 pm.
Old 27th Dec 2006, 4:45 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 1962 Bush TR102 - an interesting radio

That looks like a nice tidy job Howard . When these models do turn up, very often you find the caps over the handle-ends are missing and, worse still, the lid is broken. This latter is often at one, or both, of its pivot points.
Old 27th Dec 2006, 6:52 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Thanks Darren,

Bush TR102s don't turn up very often, and as you say the lids are a bit flimsy, the one on the scrap set is chipped but its two knobs are OK so I'm going to look out for another one to rebuild as I have some good spares left over. These sets are prone to falling over, possibly that's why they get damaged
I'm very pleased with this Bush cos it is so unusual

Howard
Old 18th Jan 2007, 9:30 am   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

I've just been informed that the Bush TR102 was a David Ogle design which makes it even more interesting !

Howard
Old 18th Jan 2007, 1:45 pm   #5
radioman
Heptode

I have one of these too - every time I switch it on it reminds me of 'Gort' the robot from the sci-fi film 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' !
I wonder if the designer was influenced in any way by this film.

Regards,
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gort.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	7753  
G-QRP #12697
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 2:55 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

Hi all.
I have just been given one of these to look at, with half it's cover missing. I haven't opened the radio up yet but judging by Howard's picture of the gubbins it might be possible to remove the remains of the cover and fit a switched pot. Hopefully the wires to the on-off switch should be long enough.
Howard is right, one only has to give it a hard stare and the thing topples over!
I wonder if adding some weight inside might help?