UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2007, 4:45 pm   #1
Mach One
Heptode

Default Mystery Ekco (possibly)

Hello there...

I'm afraid this is a bit vague. When I was a teenager in the Seventies, I obtained a valve set from a jumble sale that was briefly my listening set at that time. It was smallish with Long Wave, Medium Wave and VHF. I believe it was an AC set (that is with a transformer inside for heaters and HT) and I am absolutely sure it was an Ekco.

However, I have never seen anything like it since and would love to ID it. Looking on the pictures on the various sets on the Internet in my memory it was most like the Philips B3G97U, except that I know it was not this one. It was slightly more rounded, must have been around the same size and had black knobs with gold relief (from memory).

It had a particularly good MW sound quality but its wide audio bandwidth meant that it was not very selective, and as the VHF was poor, it soon got superceded when I found something better.

Has anyone any ideas what it might have been? Sorry it is so vague...
Old 19th Oct 2007, 5:01 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Mystery Ekco (possibly)

Sounds a bit like a U319, though that's an AC/DC set. Theres a picture of a tatty one here: http://people.cs.uu.nl/gerard/RadioC...ts/Ekco319.htm

Paul
Old 20th Oct 2007, 6:53 pm   #3
Mach One
Heptode

Default Re: Mystery Ekco (possibly)

Yes, that's what I thought, but I do not recognise the "winged" knobs. I am fairly certain that it had more traditional round ones, but the cabinet is around the right shape. I also can't say the dial rings bells.

As I say, I am really sorry it is so vague - and almost hopeless, but it was certainly something.
Closed Thread