UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2013, 9:58 am   #1
bobbyball
Octode

Default Help with Colour TV set identification??

Hello again!

I wonder if anybody can help me with a circuit, service manual or any other info for a colour TV set I have recently acquired.

It's branded "Quadri-Matic" on the front and has "Model 7825E" on a plate on the rear cover, also "Victor Company of Japan" is embossed into the plastic.

It is obviously made by JVC (Nivico) and featured in the "Which?" magazine TV test for 18"-22" sets in the early 70's where they featured the Philips G8, ITT CVC5 and others. From what I recall (can't place the magazine at the minute) they called it the "Pilot Quadri-Matic".

It has a rotary "click stop" tuner with 8 positions rather like the Hitachi sets of the time (eg CSP680). The CRT is roughly 19"-20" delta gun and seems to have "standard" high voltage focus but I can't (yet) find a label with a type number. Nicely made inside and with removeable panels. I think it also has some sort of light sensor for "auto contrast" as well as a tone control (luxury!)

The R&TVS books do list a few JVC sets but not this one...

If I can get the camera going I will try and post a picture...

Cheers

Robert
Old 25th Jun 2013, 10:59 am   #2
Nicklyons2
Octode

Default Re: Help with Colour TV set identification??

My brother had one of those sets; it may just be a possibility I still have a circuit but I have to admit the chance is slim. There was a slightly later version which swapped the rotary tuner for (I think it was 8) touch tuning strips with neon illuminated windows above. Just as point of interest Heater Cathode short in the CRT finally finished it off.
Old 25th Jun 2013, 11:04 am   #3
bobbyball
Octode

Thanks for the glint of hope!!

I'm curious as to what "sort" the CRT actually is and if it's the standard 20" delta I even have a NOS one...

I have always liked this sort of set: they were so well made and, having travelled thousands of miles over several continents to the UK were taken out of the box and - worked. Unlike some of our offerings that barely travelled down the street before having to go back to the shop!

Robert
Old 25th Jun 2013, 12:00 pm   #4
toshiba tony
Heptode

I had one but I dont think its a standard crt of the day. Reliable they were, not like nowadays!
Old 25th Jun 2013, 2:53 pm   #5
Nicklyons2
Octode

It was an odd size of CRT and not being 'push through' like the comtemporary Euro & Brit sets it was difficult to guess at. I seem to remember it was a quite rounded something like 18". The reason I bracketed the 8 with ref to the later version was that it may actually have had 10 or 12 'touch' bars - it's a long time ago.

If I can find my "sundry/Misc Jap Colour" box it may be there - give me a day or two.
Old 25th Jun 2013, 2:59 pm   #6
bobbyball
Octode

Cheers again!

I rather suspect the CRT is not a "standard" but you never know! I will have to test it for emission with the B&K, would like to give the poor thing a good clean inside and out before I power it up!

I don't remember a "touch button" version other than the later "in line" CRT model they brought out - it had a light sensor too and as I recall the button selecting this used to light up green round it...

Robert
Old 26th Jun 2013, 12:27 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Ah - a battleship TV - I'm sure I remember one. Not exactly a 'click-stop tuner, more a CRASH-stop! Hope the CRT's OK - I imagine it will be an American type.
Glyn
Old 26th Jun 2013, 2:57 pm   #8
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyball View Post
I have always liked this sort of set: they were so well made and, having travelled thousands of miles over several continents to the UK were taken out of the box and - worked. Unlike some of our offerings that barely travelled down the street before having to go back to the shop!
Sir Jules Thorn made a similar observation on watching the first Japanese imports being unloaded at the docks!
Old 26th Jun 2013, 3:27 pm   #9
bobbyball
Octode

I couldn't resist taking the poor thing to pieces as it is in such dire need of a good clean.

The degaussing shield comes off without the tube coming as well and the tube is made by Hitachi. I can't remember the exact type number as I'm at work now but it was definitely "510 xyz 22" but I can't remember what "xyz" was, I will look when I get home. I can certainly test it on the B&K so I will get an idea as to if it's still OK.

The chassis can come out of the cabinet "as a whole" as everything is unpluggable. It even has a "sort of" handle in the bracket across the top so it can be carried easily! The front plastic bezel is fixed to the wooden cabinet by 12 screws, rather like the Hitachi CSP680 and it's small screen brother. When the screws are out the cabinet will just lift off the bezel and I can then better get at the fixings to the front controls to clean and service them. There are three indicator lamps but I think two are "popped" unless the switches that control them have dirty contacts, quite possible. The tuner seems remarkably similar to the one in the Hitachi sets, and it has the same sort of pointer that is behind a "21-68" scale on the front panel over the control knobs. It would have had a VHF tuner in a different guise (Australia etc perhaps) as there is provision for fitting one above the UHF one, but instead there is a separate "if pre-amplifier" can that the output from the tuner goes to before it goes to the main board.

There is a distinct similarity to the JVC 7445GB that I have and that "is" in the R&TVS books (76-77). This set looks a bit more old fashioned than the 7445 however, with it's tube behind the mask and possibly is a bit older. It's a smart looking thing (or will be when it has had a good clean) and well worth preserving as it so well made. I did power it up before I started to dismantle it and I thought it must have been faulty as it was so quiet - before the raster came up!!

Robert

Last edited by bobbyball; 26th Jun 2013 at 3:32 pm.
Old 26th Jun 2013, 11:15 pm   #10
bobbyball
Octode

Just a quick update, the CRT is type 510CLB22 (Hitachi) and although very similar to "our" A51-110 type has a metal rimband that extends over the edge of the front of the glass.

I have connected it to my B&K 470 tester and the emission shows in the centre of the "good" band for the blue gun and slightly higher for red and green. Not bad for about 40 years.

The set is disassembled at present for "deep cleaning"; the rear cover has followed me and is currently soaking in the bath!!!

Robert
Old 27th Jun 2013, 12:26 pm   #11
Nicklyons2
Octode

Robert, sadly I can't find the manual - it must have got lost - sorry. I did come up with a similar era Teleton set though that I had completely forgotten about + a Sharp 'Linytron', bet there aren't many of those left!
Old 27th Jun 2013, 12:38 pm   #12
bobbyball
Octode

Well Thanks anyway.

Can't find any information about this set on the 'net either, just need to keep digging...

Robert
Old 27th Jun 2013, 2:30 pm   #13
toshiba tony
Heptode

Taking bits of tvs in the bath with you. Now that is worrying, I used to take crt rear projection panels contaminated with coolant in the bath but i always resisted the urge to get in as well.
Old 27th Jun 2013, 2:52 pm   #14
bobbyball
Octode

No don't worry I got out first!!!

Leaving it overnight the water was quite "brown", think it may have lived "amongst smokers" sometime during it's life. It's a lot cleaner and hopefully the set will look much better when it's all put back together.

Just need to find the service manual now, as taking the CRT out etc will have wrecked the convergence. The controls are on a PCB attached to the tube, "US style" (also Thorn 8000 series) and although they are marked in fuction the adjustment sequence is not!! I should imagine the grey scale could also do with resetting and the +B voltage checking also. I intend to replace a few capacitors as well...

Robert
Old 30th Jun 2013, 10:38 pm   #15
bobbyball
Octode

Well just as an update, here are a few pictures of the set:

I still can't find any service data on it, even Mauritron doesn't list it.

I shall keep looking...

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC TV and radiogram 013.jpg
Views:	1043
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	81397   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC TV and radiogram 005.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	81398   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC TV and radiogram 007.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	81399   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC TV and radiogram 008.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	81400   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC TV and radiogram 009.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	81401  

Old 2nd Jul 2013, 8:10 pm   #16
stubbyeddy
Pentode

Its all looking squeaky clean! looking forward to seeing a picture on it now
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 11:17 pm   #17
mark pirate
Dekatron

It has certainly come up a treat, it seems that a good film of nicotine works well at preserving sets, I too am looking forward to seeing a picture on this set.

Mark
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 10:11 am   #18
bobbyball
Octode

Cheers guys!

It's all back togther and all the plugs and sockets are (hopefully) in the right place.

I bottle out from switching it on again as (a) I ran out of time and (B) since I have no circuit and the "+B" pot is set right at one end of it's travel I am a bit wary. I think a previous repair has resulted in the replacement of four bridge rectifier diodes on the power panel. These shouldn't affect the output (there is a regulator transistor) but it would be good to get it right. Convergence is likely to be a faff as the controls are all on the board behind the scan coils. It will need the use of a big miror.

I do have another JVC set, can't remember the exact model number at present, with a similar circuit but an 18" tube with separate convergence panel. There is service info for this one, so I will perhaps compare the two.

This one is even dirtier inside a tribute to how well it had worked over the years - it still worked when I got it and it's turn to be "done up" is approaching
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 10:36 am   #19
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi Robert.

Nice to see a really unusual set saved. I seem to remember reading that Rumbelows used to be the agents for these sets, the Pilot Quadri-matic (great name!).

As for the convergence, I'm sure it will be simple. I look forward to seeing a picture on it.

All the best,

Tas
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 11:11 am   #20
Nicklyons2
Octode

"Rumbelows save you money and serve you right" I used to like the cartoon family, one of the others ran around shouting "I'll deliver it for free". What was the service eng (always brandishing a screwdriver) called? Didn't save them though and they're consigned to the pantheon of lost high street retailers.

Sorry for rambling slightly off topic
Closed Thread