UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2019, 5:46 pm   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default Pye V220

Hi Everyone

Ive just started to look at a Pye V 220. I removed the LOPT last week and its in the airing cupboard having a long slow bake. Interestingly the screened part of the coax lead that is soldered to the PCB is connected to the LOPT via a ceramic cap. Interestingly the leg of the cap had never taken to the solder and i managed to unwrap it with pliers. So it came out of the factory like that !!

So next i plan to look at the power supply. Its a metal rectifier type. Mine got the Siemens rectifier. But i plan on bypassing this with a more modern equivalent for obvious reasons. What is the value of the HT that i need to aim for? I know a simple diode and resistor will suffice, but can a full bridge rectifier module be used? Could a cap dropper be used in place of the dropper? Obviously i would hide all this behind the chassis so it couldnt be seen.

Whats everyones thoughts?

Cheers

Mike
Old 8th Nov 2019, 6:42 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Pye V220

Is this the chassis that has a frame and line panel on the right hand side of a vertical chassis in front of the anode cap with wax capacitors on the rear?
The capacitors would get all black and dirty from the dust and ended up with spikes of dust attracted to the anode cap.
I had one in the 1970's. It worked well but always had a slight corona smell when it was working.
I have been trying to find one for years ! I also remember the back was always loose due to the fixings in the plastic case.
Any chance of some pictures?
Rich.
Old 8th Nov 2019, 10:20 pm   #3
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Hi rich

If you type ‘little green pye v 220’ you will see my original post with pictures of the internals and external presentation

Cheers

Mike
Old 8th Nov 2019, 11:24 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

Thanks for that, looking at the pictures your set looks very similar externally but the chassis is different, I think your set may be a slightly later model than the one I had.
Where your set has a square hole on the right hand side of the chassis mine had a PCB with wax capacitors on the back facing the anode cap.
It looks as if they did a redesign...?
No wonder British manufacturers struggled to make money they seemed to bring out a new chassis every year or so! Although to be fair I suppose the Pye 11U had a fair run.
Thinking about it I am fairly sure my set was UHF convertible so maybe mine was a later chassis..
Anyway, nice to see one again!

Rich.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 1:29 pm   #5
The teleman
Pentode

Very interesting read
It seems you may have the wrong model number there
The v220 was a single standard 405 only set
It sounds like the set you have is the rarer TV1 a 17” dual standard set
That probably never had the uhf tuner fitted
The 2 sets used the same cabinet so it’s an easy mistake to make
You can tell the TV1 it has a 405 625 switch on the right hand side .
Old 12th Nov 2019, 1:41 pm   #6
The teleman
Pentode

Here are the 2 sets
The first is the TV1 note the uhf knob
The second is the V220
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A9EFE0C-A54C-4D06-8111-8771986E20BC.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	193613   Click image for larger version

Name:	912B2836-DA31-4BD2-B32F-FA814F42FAE3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	193614  
Old 12th Nov 2019, 3:41 pm   #7
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The teleman View Post
It seems you may have the wrong model number there
The v220 was a single standard 405 only set
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, it looks as if my set was the dual standard set unconverted.
It was a long time ago... I only owned it for a while as I got a working Invicta with a UHF tuner. I think the Pye went to a school mate.

Rich
Old 12th Nov 2019, 9:13 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Mike, yes a capacitive dropper should work, but the cap will need to be larger than the ones typically used in radio sets.
Capacitive will be fine for the heater chain, but for the purists it may be better to keep to a resistor for the HT.

Ed
Old 12th Nov 2019, 10:12 pm   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Details of the mains dropper resistor. I might have something that would serve as a replacement.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye_model_1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	193645  
Closed Thread