UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2020, 8:48 pm   #1
shackec
Diode

Question Columbia windup gramophone spring

I have a windup Columbia table model gramophone. Date- probably in the thirties(?). registration no.9784 model number B15682.
The handle winds up the machine but there is not enough power to play a record. The spring looks clean but I assume it has lost its springiness.
Can any one confirm that this is a possibility? If not any suggestions as to what else could be wrong please? Also, if it is the spring, any ideas as to where I could obtain a replacement?
Any help/advice would be appreciated as this is my first antique. Would be nice to get it running.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 9:14 am   #2
Viscount
Heptode

Default Re: Columbia windup gramophone spring

i would attempt light lubrication of the bearings to kick off with, it worked with mine, does the platter feel tight, is it dragging anywhere?
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 10:33 am   #3
sparkymike
Octode

If you find that you do need a new spring, antique clock parts suppliers should be able to help you. I seem to remember that some of these movements were made by companies such as Smiths, who were clock makers in London.
Take care removing old spring. Obviously only remove when motor has completely run down.
Mike.
Old 25th Jan 2020, 2:00 pm   #4
shackec
Diode

Thanks for the suggestion; and for the caution! I have heard that a would up spring can be quite volatile if not released carefully.

Thanks for this, no there doesn't seem to be any tightness. The platter just rotates slowly and very quickly comes to an halt when needle is lowered to the record. I am going to use an air compressor to blow out any dust or dirt in the work and then spray with a very light oil. However, I do get the impression of a very weak spring. Thanks again
Old 26th Jan 2020, 9:35 am   #5
sparkymike
Octode

There is always the possibility of the wrong spring having been fitted at some time in its life. I don't know how you could calculate the tension etc.but there may well be a chart on line somewhere that gives width of coil, number of turns length and tension. From very distant memory, I seem to remember that you often had to wind up these players half way through a disc. (2 minutes if you were lucky).
Mike.
Old 26th Jan 2020, 9:44 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Most places in UK who sell springs will give the barrel diameter, thickness and width - better than needing the spring length.
Old 26th Jan 2020, 10:53 am   #7
Arthur2075
Pentode

Whatever you do don’t use WD40. Use only sewing machine oil on any gramophone motor. Google The Gramophone Guru for some really good videos.
Old 26th Jan 2020, 2:25 pm   #8

I am not an 'elf and safety sort of chap but these springs can (and do) release an awful amount of power if let go or pulled from the barrel. I use the word power as the energy may be fairly small but the release happens very quickly.

When I was a kid I played with clocks, releasing the spring was done inside a "proper" sack and reinsertion by hand, you can't stop putting it in no matter how much your hands hurt! (a bit like your first solo flight, no hard shoulder up there) And they where small springs compared to a gramophone.

Old 29th Jan 2020, 11:58 am   #9
shackec
Diode

Thanks all for good advice. I shall be careful! I shall be visiting London in a few weeks and I have a couple of leads for springs. So, iwth any luck, I may be dancing this year.
Closed Thread