UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2019, 11:01 pm   #1
Nukeybrown
Heptode

Default WA4UMK callsign

I know its a longshot, but i know some people might have heard of this guys call sign. Ive recently bought a valve tester which was owned by him. It has been in his basement since 1988 which was when he passed away.
Old 16th Dec 2019, 7:31 am   #2
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: WA4UNK callsign

US callsign, possibly somewhere in the SE like Florida? Not listed on QRZ.com, a Google search brings up some unsavoury references to, I think, rap music!

In the US, the FCC re-cycle callsigns some years after expiry, might be worth asking on one of the ARRL forums.

Cheers

Roger
Old 16th Dec 2019, 10:06 am   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

WA4UNK isn't listed in the Hamcall database either, but I only have basic (free) Hamcall membership which gives access to currently listed amateurs. 'Gold' membership (paid for), gives access to callsign data going back 26 years, which would include callsigns that have lapsed for whatever reason.

In America, the calsign prefix (WA4 in this case) is no guide as to where a US amateur is presently located as it relates only to the area in which the callsign holder lived when the callsign was issued. Prior to 1978, a new callsign was required if an amateur moved to another callsign area. There are a few American radio amateurs who are members of this forum - maybe they could throw some light on this request?
Old 16th Dec 2019, 12:38 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

WA4UMK?

Lawrence.
Old 16th Dec 2019, 1:52 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
WA4UMK?

Lawrence.
That would make sense, albeit the licence expired 24 years ago.

From Hamcall.net:

Walter Roling, WA4UMK
(Not in FCC database)
Sarasota, USA.
License Issue Date: Jul 26 1985
License Expiration Date: Jul 26 1995.

The last known address can be found by registering free on the Hamcall Databse.

(I don't think it's appropriate to post it in this thread).
Old 17th Dec 2019, 12:41 am   #6
John KC0G
Hexode

I certainly had not heard of him. There is no mention of the call in the FCC database, which is not surprising if the previous owner died in 1988. There is no mention of the call in the online search engine for CQ magazine at https://hamcall.net/cgi-bin/cqcgi

The copies of the Radio Amateur Call Book at archiove.org show that from about 1967 to 1980 that the call belonged to a William Elmore of New Castle, VA. I have not tried very hard to see if he was licensed before or after that. Until 1978, (see https://www.eham.net/article/38849), there was a requirement that if you moved to a new licensing district then you had to change your call sign. Another search suggests that William Elmore was born in about 1914.

At the Dayton Hamvention this year there were some items from the estate of Harry Houck who was born in 1896, had worked with Edwin Howard Armstrong in WW!, and later founded the Measurements Corporation in Boonton, NJ. He died many years ago, but the house had stayed in the family until very recently.

73 John
Old 17th Dec 2019, 7:50 am   #7
dsergeant
Octode

What is the reason for trying to establish who this amateur is/was apart from nostalgia? How do you know his callsign, is it on the equipment, and if he is American how did it end up in the UK from his basement. How did you acquire it? USA equipment would clearly be 115V, if it is 250V (and doesn't show signs of modification) then it clearly was never used in that country, in which case WA4UNK just doesn't fit in.

Dave G3YMC
Old 17th Dec 2019, 1:59 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

If 240V, it's not too far from a Warrington postcode either. Presumably it's this one: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162201
Old 17th Dec 2019, 6:16 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
If 240V, it's not too far from a Warrington postcode either. Presumably it's this one: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162201
That's a good point: in times-past when there was a lot of thievery going on, at the suggestion of the local Crime Prevention Officer several of my clients had some of their valuable stuff [computers, monitors, printers] engraved with their postcode.

Could it be WA4 0NK
Old 18th Dec 2019, 12:33 am   #10
Nukeybrown
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
WA4UMK?

Lawrence.

Yes lawrence should be wa4umk not n

I was trying to find out information about who he was as he donated equipment to a ham radio charity in the usa , well his family did after his death at his request.

Yes his call sign was engraved into a lot of the equipment
Old 18th Dec 2019, 12:53 am   #11
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: WA4UMK callsign

It's not unusual, I find a lot of old ham call signs (all long gone) on old equipment that I've obtained from various sales, it seems to be the 'thing' to do for some reason. I'll try to find one or two examples and post them up if I remember.
Closed Thread