UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2019, 8:03 pm   #1
derek.ireland
Tetrode

Default R1132A dial high or low

have just replaced the front panel on my r1132a after a repaint .going by the paper decal on the panel the dial reads what i would call back to front high end to the left.low end to the right.100meg -165degs-----124 meg-17degs .this does not seem right to me .the tuning cap has no stops so it can be either way.anyone help thanks derek
Old 7th Dec 2019, 9:10 pm   #2
Dave757
Heptode

Default Re: R1132A dial high or low

Hi Derek,

I don't know this set very well, but surely if you set the dial to the lowest frequency setting which is presumably at 180 degrees, and then recouple the drive to the tuning capacitor with the capacitor vanes fully enmeshed, you won't be very far out.

You can then check with a sig genny if the dial is slightly out and the coupling needs adjusting, or whether the set needs realigning.

By the way, the settings you mentioned appear to be correct for the model, - perhaps just a bit unintuitive for the high
frequency end to be on the left.

Kind regards
Dave G0ELJ

Last edited by Dave757; 7th Dec 2019 at 9:16 pm.
Old 7th Dec 2019, 9:52 pm   #3
Terry295
Tetrode

Hi Derek

I just checked my three 1132 dials (don't ask, it's a sad tale of human weakness) and none are calibrated in frequency. That are all marked 0 to 180 (-2 to 182 to be exact), with 0 on left hand side.

I suspect someone has modified the coverage (maybe for 2M ?) as the set was originally designed to tune 100 to 124 Mc/s and they have made a paper scale for this new band. The original scale was made of thin metal, the calibration of each receiver was read from a paper "cal chart" mounted just above the BFO pitch control.

Hope this is of assistance.

Regards Terry C (ZL4TC)
Old 7th Dec 2019, 10:47 pm   #4
Dave757
Heptode

Hi Terry

I don't quite follow that, as Derek's paper cal chart is as per the original
spec - i.e. 100MHz = 165 Deg, and 124MHZ = 17 Deg.

That is a bit greedy though, having 3 dials!

Kind regards
Dave G0ELJ
Old 8th Dec 2019, 10:45 am   #5
Terry295
Tetrode

Hi Dave

You are correct, I had misread Dereks original post (It was late round this half of the planet and I guess I wasn't firing on all cylinders). Apologies for the confusion.

I got three of the things originally so I could restore at least one, they had all been hacked in one way or the other, I assume for the 2M band (one has a discriminator added). One restoration is now nearly completed as the original R-1132A and I hope to restore a second set from the two remaining radios as a re-pro R-1481

Regards Terry C
Old 8th Dec 2019, 4:11 pm   #6
Dave757
Heptode

Hi Terry,

Yes, conversion to 2M was popular when I was (a lot) younger, as
I remember these sets were always cheap, and most of them I have
seen didn't have a cabinet.

I don't know if you have the 70MHz band in NZ, but if you do, I guess
with the BFO you could resolve SSB/CW on that band with a conversion
to R1481 spec. Just a shame that they don't have FM!

Good luck with the Project.

Kind regards
Dave G0ELJ
Closed Thread