UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Aug 2019, 9:30 pm   #1
Retrotechie
Pentode

Default SRAM cards

Hi, does anyone know of a way of backing these up to a PC ?

I purchased a USB to pcmcia card adapter recently but it seems it’s not compatible with sram style cards.

It crossed my mind to make up an adapter that would allow the card card to ‘plug’ into my ice master LV48 reader but would need to determine the type of IC used in the sram card and that this is on the device list of the reader.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Old 30th Aug 2019, 7:44 am   #2
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: SRAM cards

I seem to remember its a windows issue. At some point windows stopped supporting them and there was no driver. We had a DSO that used these and I'm pretty sure we used to use a laptop to read them, back in the noughties. Later on the newer machines couldn't do it. So maybe an old (Win 95 for example) laptop is worth a try?
Old 30th Aug 2019, 8:02 am   #3
JohnBHanson
Heptode

A pci adapter card should work ok - ISA cards were also available if you have a machine old enough.
Old 4th Sep 2019, 7:29 pm   #4
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBHanson View Post
A pci adapter card should work ok - ISA cards were also available if you have a machine old enough.
I don't think they support these old SRAM cards though. I never got them to work on the laptops with PC card slots.

However I have just found this:

SRAM and Windows XP Work Around for PC Card SRAM
SRAM Cards do not come with drivers, it has always been the OS vendor's responsibility to
include support for these devices. Unlike previous versions of Windows, SRAM drivers
traditionally included on Windows distributions are not included with Windows XP. The
following information explains a work around to get Windows XP to recognize and use PC
Card SRAM. Be certain Windows XP is up to date with the latest Service Packs and the host
hardware correctly supports PC Cards.
Please note that Pretec provides this work around as a customer service and does not
guarantee that will work with every system configuration.
1. Insert the SRAM card into the PC Card slot
2. When the 'Hardware Wizard' appears, select 'Install from a list or specific location
(advanced)'
3. Click 'Next'
4. Select 'Don't search I will choose the driver to install'
5. Click 'Next'
6. Scroll through the list of choice and select 'PCMCIA and Flash memory devices'
7. Click 'Next'
8. Double click 'generic' under the Manufacturer listing
9. Select 'Generic PCMCIA Memory Card' from the Model listing
10. Click 'Next'
11. Click the 'Yes' button when the warning dialog appears, to dismiss it
12. Click 'Finish' when the 'Completing the found new hardware wizard' dialog appears.
13. Restart Windows

Might be worth a try!
Closed Thread