UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2020, 2:40 am   #1
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Shielding material other than pcb

Rather than hijack Wendys post about the poor quality pcb material she was using for screening, I use tin that is recovered from 4L cooking oil containers.

At least one brand Downunder comes in comes in tins roughly 5" square and about a foot high, with completely smooth sides, rounded corners and a single joining seam in one side.

Yes, a little bit of messing about cleaning them, but easily done with a bit of dishwashing detergent and hot water (before you cut it up ).

Bit of flux and a hot iron does the job easy enough.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 2:48 am   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Shielding material other than pcb

Another thing using steel tins is that steel cans screen magnetically as well as electrostatically. Its very easy to bend into shape and can be cut with industrial scissors rather than a clunking great pair of tinsnips. If one is really fussy and doesnt like the pictures and ink on the can, it's easilly obtainable from hobby stores that cater for model aircraft and model steam.

Joe
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 2:51 am   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

A friend of mine, who passed on long ago, was a wonderful tin smith. Long before the days of diecast boxes, I suspect that any self-respecting radio technician regarded the ability to make a neat tin box as a basic skill!

B
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 12:20 pm   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I used to be able to do it a loooooong time ago, but then we got spoiled for choice and could buy them of the shelf.

Of course the wheel has turned full circle and you can't just walk into a shop and get them of the shelf anymore, but I don't know if I could make them now (and yes I know you can get them off the 'net).
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 1:44 pm   #5
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
A friend of mine, who passed on long ago, was a wonderful tin smith. Long before the days of diecast boxes, I suspect that any self-respecting radio technician regarded the ability to make a neat tin box as a basic skill!

B
It was the first thing I learned in metalwork class aged eleven! Tinsnips, two pieces of wood in a vice and a hide mallet to form the sides then flux and a soldering iron fresh off the forge.

God bless you Mr Topp, you were brilliant!

BVWS member
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 5:51 pm   #6
Julesomega
Nonode

Indian restaurants get their oil in 20 litre cylindrical cans. One by us always has a few empties standing out the back - I think thy are quite pleased if one blows away in the wind

It's good here
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 6:00 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the past, I built a 'naughty' shortwave transmitter into a pair of gallon-size Castrol GTX oil-cans. The metal was rather flimsy so I used some wooden battens to reinforce the area round the modulation-transformer.

And I have to mention the Heath "Cantenna" RF dummy-load built into a paint-can.

One 'screening material' worthy of mention is the self-adhesive copper strip used by modelmakers who want to 'fake' stained-glass windows. Something similar is available from garden-centres, where it's sold as 'copper slug-barrier' [apparently the mucilaginous molluscs dislike crawling across copper].

If you want a ventilated screened enclosure [for exampe to house a valve PA stage or a VFO] then places like Halfords and B&Q sell perforated-stainless-steel mesh sheets.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 6:34 pm   #8
MrBungle
Dekatron

I use Heinz baked bean tins. Cut with the MrsBungle’s kitchen scissors. They solder really easy.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 12:19 am   #9
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

You must have different cans than us, ours all have ridges up the sides which make them a nightmare for bending plus they have that horrible white plasticky lining.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 9:27 am   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

I keep the ridges.

The plastic lining isn’t on the outside

If I want it to look good I use brass shim but that’s rarely a requirement.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 11:37 am   #11
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
I use Heinz baked bean tins. Cut with the MrsBungle’s kitchen scissors. They solder really easy.
I hope Mrs Bungle doesn't read the forum or you may need to fabricate a tin hat in a hurry.

Peter
Old 24th Jan 2020, 12:36 pm   #12
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Use classic biscuit or sweet tins ! Roomy and you get to eat the contents first. Beware the modern abomination of plastic ones.

Ken
Old 26th Jan 2020, 10:35 am   #13
FrankB
Heptode

I have used inverted baking pans as chassis ( and shields),and salvaged copper window screen for shielding.
In a pinch, one can make shielding from the protectors used on screen or storm doors.
(I had to make a replacement HV cage for a TV set out of the storm door protector. Worked fine.) I have even seen a magazine article on 1/4" screen mesh being made into a chassis!
Old 26th Jan 2020, 2:28 pm   #14

Quote:
Use classic biscuit or sweet tins !
Some have annoying relief work pressed in the lid.

For class work brass shim is brilliant (in both senses of the word), not too expensive either.

Last edited by Guest; 26th Jan 2020 at 2:29 pm. Reason: Added brass

Old 30th Jan 2020, 6:01 pm   #15
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post

For class work brass shim is brilliant (in both senses of the word), not too expensive either.
I love brass shim . I bought some antique stuff , beautiful , the other day
Old 13th Feb 2020, 8:27 pm   #16
ajs37
Heptode

I used my Dad's old pipe tobacco tins as project boxes - they were great! Still got some Golden Virginia boxes somewhere (from when I used to smoke). I have used all sorts of time for shielding in radios - works a treat!
Closed Thread