UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2020, 4:26 pm   #1
SloanStarr
Diode

Default Cossor 464

Hello Vintage Radio People. I am new to this forum. Joined today after my old valve radio was threatened with removal from its premises. I have a Cossor 464 which I found in an old vintage shop in Co Wexford. I have loved it since the day I got it 10 years ago. It worked perfectly in the kitchen, playing either RTE Radio 1 or BBC Radio 3. Then, two years ago, it just stopped working. I have tried to find a place where I can take it for repair, but the only person I have found lives in Dublin and I just seem to never get to Dublin, unless it's to the airport. Can you tell me if it is simple enough to repair a Cossor 464 Radio? Could I do it with my incredibly limited skills? That is, is it a case of replacing the cables? All advice and opinions will be gratefully received. Thank you!
Old 24th Jan 2020, 4:36 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Cossor 464

Hello and welcome to the forums.

A completely dead radio, ie one with no sound at all from the speaker, is generally easier to fix than one which works a bit. Do the valves light up?

You'll need two things to start with though apart from the usual screwdrivers etc.

Download the service information here:-

https://www.service-data.com/product...44/1351/m10944

You'll also need a Digital Multi Meter (DMM) which will probably cost around 15 euros. A quick search of the forums will yield advice on what to buy.

Once you have these items we'll be able to tell you how to proceed.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 4:41 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Cossor 464

Hi Sloanstarr

I would not describe the 464 as a particularly difficult set.

It's AC only which is a bonus.

When you say it's no longer working does it do anything? Hum, Crackle or Light up?

Do you have access to a multimeter?.

Quite a few Cossor sets used a similar chassis so spares should not prove to be too difficult.

Crossed with Station X
It occurred to me after I posted that this may be an export model are there any letters after 464
The standard UK version is the 464AC .

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 24th Jan 2020 at 5:08 pm. Reason: crossed with Station X Export model?
Closed Thread