UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2020, 6:12 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Stanwood Radio LTD Anyone remember them?

Wondering if anyone here remembers or worked for Stanwood Radio ltd ?
Owned by Bernard Wood and were all over South east england with many stores and eventually bought out by Rumbelows .
Old 19th Jan 2020, 7:08 pm   #2
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Re: Stanwood Radio LTD Anyone remember them?

Found this on Stanwood radio
Seems to be a a load of ex employees swapping memories , wonder if any of the forum members worked for themor indeed posted here >
https://www.stanwoodradio.co.uk/
Old 19th Jan 2020, 7:14 pm   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yes my mother used to work for them in the 70s. Can’t remember which branch though! I will ask her next time I speak to her.
Old 20th Jan 2020, 6:30 pm   #4
Valvepower
Octode

Hello.

I remember the Stanwood shop in Rayleigh high street https://***********************/2222/2...105703b1_b.jpg Note the No7 Routemaster Bus heading to Southend via Hockley and Rochford.

I remember going into the repair workshop out the back of the shop to cage a scrap deflection yoke coil so I could strip off the enamelled wire to build the Electric Motor in the Ladybird book Magnets, bulbs and Batteries…… Any excuse to go out the back and into the repair workshop and see the engineers with backs of the TV’s and radio’s – this was heaven for a young Terry. I regularly used to stare with amazement at all the radios and TV’s in the shop window.

My Mum and Dad bought a Decca DMR88 radio from Stanwood’s.

There was, and still is a Dentist above the Stanwood shop in Rayleigh, although it’s now a Peacocks clothing store and a different dentist, which I last went to only a week ago, and whist sitting in the waiting room I thought about Stanwood’s below!

I can remember buying Ernie, Benny Hill and Get it on and T-Rex from the record store in Stanwood’s.

I’m moving back to Rayleigh in the next month and I’ll be living in the same road I lived in between 1966 (6yrs) and 1986 (26yrs) although my parents lived in the road up until their sad passing the year before last.

Blimey, I’m waffling on….

Terry

Last edited by Valvepower; 20th Jan 2020 at 6:34 pm. Reason: Triping Errot
Closed Thread