UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2019, 9:41 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Don't fall into the trap...

Just a note to share a recent experience which may save others from making the same mistake. I had a piece of speaker cloth saved from a scrap set which had been stored in the workshop for a number of years. I needed some for a home constructed set and cut it to the correct size. As it had one or two minor rucks in it I thought I would iron it on a cool setting, sandwiched between two sheets of kitchen roll. That worked and I was left with a nice smooth cloth. Unfortunately it had shrank a little and would no longer fit. Luckily I had just enough left to do the job, which I ironed first before cutting to size. I suspect the cloth had some kind of plastic weave mixed in but it wasn't obvious (to me anyway).
Alan.
Old 24th Jun 2019, 10:22 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Don't fall into the trap...

We used to tighten the speaker cloth using a hairdryer on a low setting and it caused it to shrink just enough to give a smooth unwrinkled finish.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 6:06 pm   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I was beginning to wonder if this was an intended property of the cloth, to give a nice taut finish after the cabinet was built. I don't often work with speaker cloth to be honest. I am happy to get the set working and don't usually pay much attention to cosmetic detail.
Alan.
Old 25th Jun 2019, 7:47 pm   #4
John M0GLN
Octode

When I built a speaker cabimet in the 60's with 2 WB Stentorian HF1012 speakers I used Tygan cloth and the recommended way was to gently heat shrink it taut.

John
Old 25th Jun 2019, 10:56 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

Heatshrinking tygan - that must be the tip of the month!

PS Nothing's new!

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...27&postcount=1
Old 26th Jun 2019, 8:11 am   #6
vidjoman
Dekatron

That's how we did it in the 1950's. Normally fixed Tygan with an office type of stapler (I actually had a proper staple gun) to a wooden baffle and gently heated with a hairdryer.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 1:08 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes I remember using a hairdryer to 'tauten' speaker-cloth after Evo-Stikking it to baffle-boards. You had to get the amount of heat just right or the cloth shrunk differently in different places giving a most-unpleasant appearance!

[In times-past I also often sandwiched a piece of metal mesh or chicken-wire between the baffle-board and the speaker-cloth to provide some protection to the speaker-cone - because roadies were never excatly careful where they put their feet!]
Old 11th Dec 2019, 2:25 pm   #8
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post
When I built a speaker cabimet in the 60's with 2 WB Stentorian HF1012 speakers I used Tygan cloth and the recommended way was to gently heat shrink it taut.

John
That takes me back! I made a speaker pair with HF1012s. I got the heating tip for Tygan from a Gilbert Briggs ( of Wharfedale ) article